David Raven (footballer)
|Full name||David Haydn Raven|
|Date of birth||10 March 1985|
|Place of birth||West Kirby, Wirral, England|
|Height||6 ft 0 in (1.83 m)|
|Playing position||Full back|
|Inverness Caledonian Thistle|
|2005–2006||→ Tranmere Rovers (loan)||11||(0)|
|2012–||Inverness Caledonian Thistle||115||(2)|
|* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only and correct as of 7 August 2016.
‡ National team caps and goals correct as of 14 September 2014
David Haydn Raven (born 10 March 1985 in West Kirby, Wirral) is an English football player currently playing for Inverness Caledonian Thistle. He can play as a right-sided full back or central defender.
Raven made his first team debut with a man-of-the-match display during the League Cup quarter-final win against Tottenham Hotspur at White Hart Lane in December 2004 and went on to play in two further games: disappointing defeats to Burnley in the FA Cup Third Round and Southampton in the Barclays Premiership. He had also played in the pre-season match against Wrexham in August 2004.
He featured in a number of games at centre-half for the reserves throughout 2004 but manager Rafael Benítez, having been impressed since his arrival in the summer, saw his best position as right-back. He became the regular captain of Liverpool's reserve team. Raven spent the latter part of the 2005–06 season on loan at Tranmere Rovers.
Raven then moved to Carlisle United from Liverpool on a free transfer but his debut lasted only half-an-hour before he was substituted because of injury.
After an injury-plagued first season at Carlisle, 2007–08 was a different story for Raven, as he established himself as Carlisle's first choice right-back. He also won the club's 'Most Improved Player of the Year' award. During this season he also scored his first goal for Carlisle when he netted against Orient.
Raven signed for Shrewsbury Town in July 2010 on a one-year contract.
Having been released from Carlisle United, new Shrewsbury Town manager Graham Turner announced Raven as his second permanent signing. After another injury plagued, yet consistent season when playing, Raven was released by the club in May 2011.
In the summer of 2011, he returned to former 'loan' club Tranmere Rovers on trial, playing in a pre-season tie against Colwyn Bay. He signed for the club but was subsequently released at the end of the 2011–12 season after making 17 league appearances.
Inverness Caledonian Thistle
Raven scored his first goal for ICT when he opened the scoring in a 3–0 Highland derby win against Ross County in February 2014. His third career goal was an extra-time winner against Celtic, in the 2014–15 Scottish Cup semi-final at Hampden Park, Glasgow, on Sunday 19 April 2015. On 30 April Inverness CT announced that Raven had signed a one-year contract extension, keeping him at the club until the end of the 2015–16 season. Inverness won the 2014–15 Scottish Cup, but Raven missed the cup final due to injury.
- "David Raven". Barry Hugman's Footballers. Retrieved 22 April 2017.
- Rollin, Glenda; Rollin, Jack, eds. (2012). Sky Sports Football Yearbook 2012–2013 (43rd ed.). London: Headline. p. 545. ISBN 978-0-7553-6356-8.
- "Leyton Orient 0–3 Carlisle". BBC. 22 March 2008. Retrieved 24 October 2009.
- "Shrewsbury Town sign defender David Raven". BBC Sport. 9 July 2010. Retrieved 6 March 2011.
- "Report: Colwyn Bay 3 Tranmere 3". Tranmere Rovers. 16 July 2011. Archived from the original on 19 July 2011. Retrieved 16 July 2011.
- "Moore Rebuilding Squad". Tranmere Rovers FC. 8 May 2012. Archived from the original on 11 May 2012. Retrieved 8 May 2012.
- "Terry's New Signing Hat-Trick". Inverness Caledonian Thistle FC. Retrieved 28 June 2012.
- "Inverness CT 3-2 Celtic". BBC Sport. 19 April 2015. Retrieved 20 April 2015.
- "David Raven extends Inverness contract with one-year deal". BBC Sport. 30 April 2015. Retrieved 30 April 2015.
- Lamont, Alasdair (30 May 2015). "Inverness CT 2–1 Falkirk". BBC Sport. BBC. Retrieved 4 June 2015.