||This biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (December 2015) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
David Rawlings performing in 2014
|Origin||North Smithfield, Rhode Island, United States|
|Genres||Bluegrass, neotraditional country, Americana, old time, folk, American Primitivism|
|Associated acts||Dave Rawlings Machine, Gillian Welch|
|1935 Epiphone Olympic Guitar|
David Todd Rawlings is a professional guitarist, producer, and singer. He is best known as the longtime musical partner of singer-songwriter Gillian Welch. He has also released two albums under the name Dave Rawlings Machine.
He is known in his own right as a producer, having produced Welch and bands such as Old Crow Medicine Show. He has recently performed as the frontman of a band titled "Dave Rawlings Machine." Other members of the band include Gillian Welch, Willie Watson, Paul Kowert, and Brittany Haas. He has also contributed to the Bright Eyes album Cassadaga, the Ryan Adams album Heartbreaker (which opens with "Argument with David Rawlings Concerning Morrissey"), and the Robyn Hitchcock album Spooked.
Rawlings co-wrote the tracks "To Be Young (Is To Be Sad, Is To Be High)" and "Touch, Feel and Lose", with Ryan Adams.
David Rawlings achieves his signature guitar sound flatpicking a small archtop guitar. The 1935 Epiphone Olympic that has been his primary instrument was a mid-priced guitar for its time, with a carved arched solid sprucewood top, carved arched solid mahogany back and mahogany sides. It sold for about $35 in 1935. The guitar's lower bout measures 13 5/8 inches wide, and it has three piece f-holes.
The Dave Rawlings Machine album A Friend of a Friend was released on November 17, 2009. Rawlings recorded the album in Nashville, and produced it himself. Co-writers and musicians on the album include Welch as well as members of Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers, Old Crow Medicine Show, and Bright Eyes. Rawlings is also best friends with movie producer Douglas Wick. In 2015 Dave Rawlings Machine released a second album Nashville Obsolete.
- A Friend of a Friend (November 2009 · Acony Records)
- Nashville Obsolete (September 2015 · Acony Records)
- Also see Gillian Welch Discography
- Sara Watkins - Sara Watkins (2009 · Nonesuch Records)
- The Whispertown 2000 - Swim (2008 · Acony Records)
- Bright Eyes - Four Winds (2007 · Saddle Creek)
- Bright Eyes - Cassadaga (2007 · Saddle Creek)
- Robyn Hitchcock - Spooked (2004)
- Old Crow Medicine Show - Old Crow Medicine Show (2004)
- Ryan Adams - Demolition (2002)
- Ryan Adams - Heartbreaker (2000)
- Ani DiFranco - Swing Set (2000)
- 1934 Epiphone sales catalog
- "Acguitar.com". Acguitar.com. Retrieved 2015-12-27.
- Graff, Gary (September 29, 2009). "Dave Rawlings Steps Into Spotlight With 'A Friend Of A Friend'". Billboard.com. Retrieved 2009-09-30.
- "The Ghostly Ones". The New Yorker. 2004-09-20. Retrieved 2015-12-27.