David Reed (comedian)
Reed in 2008
|Birth name||David Marshall Reed|
26 May 1982 |
|Medium||Stand up, theatre, radio, television|
Reed studied at the University of Edinburgh. During his studies he performed with the Edinburgh University Theatre Company, acting in, writing and directing two pantomime productions, and was a member of acclaimed improvisational comedy troupe The Improverts. It was with The Improverts that he first met and performed with fellow comedians Humphrey Ker and Thom Tuck. He was also a frequent performer in the local comedy circuit and at The Stand.
In 2008, Reed became the drummer for Karaoke Circus, a show where comedians perform songs with an accompanying live band. Since October 2011 he has co-hosted a weekly film podcast for Absolute Radio with Karaoke Circus bassist Danielle Ward. In 2011 he performed his debut solo show Shamblehouse at The Edinburgh Festival Fringe.
The Penny Dreadfuls
Reed is probably best known for writing and performing alongside Humphrey Ker and Thom Tuck in sketch comedy team The Penny Dreadfuls. They performed their Victorian sketch show across Britain, including at The Edinburgh Festival Fringe, with Aeneas Faversham in 2006, Aeneas Faversham Returns in 2007 and Aeneas Faversham Forever in 2008.
In 2009 they presented a broadcast for BBC Radio 4's Afternoon Play slot, Guy Fawkes. This covered the life of Guy Fawkes, his failed attempt to blow up Parliament and his subsequent interrogation in the Tower of London. Guest starring Kevin Eldon as Guy Fawkes, and also featuring Miles Jupp and Andrew Pugsley.
In 2011 they produced another radio play, Revolution. This time for the prestigious Saturday Play slot. Set in the aftermath of The French Revolution, it starred Sally Hawkins as Marie-Therese, the only surviving daughter of Louis XVI and Marie-Antoinette, and Richard E. Grant as the villainous Robespierre.
- Aeneas Faversham
- Aeneas Faversham Returns
- Aeneas Faversham Forever
- The Never Man
- The Penny Dreadfuls
- David Reed Shamblehouse
- Comedy Shuffle
- The Wrong Door
- Channel 4 Comedy Lab Ain't It Funny Being Coloured
- As Peter Cook in the BBC's Frankie Howerd: Rather You Than Me
- As dodgy builder in Transmission Impossible with Ed & Oucho alongside Ed Petrie and Warrick Brownlow-Pike.
- As Rupert Fanshaw in Gary: Tank Commander
- Fast and Loose
- It's Kevin (2013)
- As Brendan in Father Figure (2013)
- Father Brown (2017) as Giles Foster in episode 5.11 "The Sins of Others"
- Ferris, Glen. (16 October 2007) The Penny Dreadfuls, Pavilion Theatre, Brighton, 18 October. The Argus. Retrieved on 2012-03-10.
- "Our Edinburgh: The Penny Dreadfuls". independent.co.uk. 26 August 2010.
- Biography: David Reed. debiallenassociates.com. Retrieved on 2012-03-10.
- iTunes – Podcasts – Film Fandango by Absolute Radio. Itunes.apple.com. Retrieved on 2012-03-10.
- The Skinny Archived 28 September 2006 at the Wayback Machine.
- Film Fandango on Absolute Radio Archived 19 April 2012 at the Wayback Machine.
- David Reed (IX). imdb.com
- Gary Tank Commander (TV Series 2009). imdb.com