David Rosand (September 6, 1938 – August 8, 2014) was an American art historian, university professor and writer. He died on August 8, 2014 from cardiac amyloidosis. Rosand specialized in Italian Renaissance art, and was known for his scholarly work on Venice and Venetian artists, in particular Titian.
Education and early life
Rosand was born in Brooklyn; and graduated from Brooklyn Technical High School. He attended Columbia College where he was an editor and cartoonist for the Jester. He received his undergraduate degree from Columbia University in 1959.
Honors and awards
- 1961 — Fulbright fellowship for the study of the Renaissance in Venice.
- 1974 — Guggenheim fellowship for the study of "pictorial structure and narrative mode in Venetian paintings of the Renaissance."
- 1997 — Great Teacher Award from the Society of Columbia Graduates.
- 2007 — Renaissance Society of America, Paul Oskar Kristeller Award for Lifetime Achievement
Rosand was honored at a one-day symposium at Columbia University in October 2008. The event brought together Professor Rosand’s colleagues and former graduate students to present research and personal reflections on the occasion of his seventieth birthday and retirement. The symposium was organized around papers on a wide variety of topics related to Professor Rosand’s past and current research.
- Titian and the Venetian Woodcut (1976)
- Titian (1978)
- Painting in Sixteenth-Century Venice: Titian, Veronese, and Tintoretto (1st ed., 1982 [Yale]; rev. ed., 1997 [Cambridge])
- Titien : « L'art plus fort que la nature », coll. Découvertes Gallimard (n° 169), Paris, Gallimard (1993)
- Tiziano: “l'arte più potente della natura”, coll. Universale Electa/Gallimard (n° 25), Trieste, Electa/Gallimard (1993)
- Robert Motherwell on Paper: Drawings, Prints, Collages (1997)
- The Meaning of the Mark: Leonardo and Titian (1988)
- The Myths of Venice: The Figuration of a State (2001)
- Drawing Acts: Studies in Graphic Expression and Representation (2002)
- The Invention of Painting in America (2004)
- Columbia University: Rosand, faculty bio notes
- Boss-Bicak, Shira. 'David Rosand ’59’s 'Gift' of Casa Muraro in Venice," Columbia Today. May/June 2008.
- "David Rosand marries Miss Ellen Fineman," New York Times. June 19, 1961.
- "$4.1 Million to Go to 342 Scholars ," New York Times. April 14, 1974.
- Symposium in Honor of David Rosen, October 17, 2008.
- International Foundation for Art Research, about IFAR
- WorldCat Identities Archived December 30, 2010, at the Wayback Machine.: David Rosand
- Cranston, Jodi. (under contract). Venetian Painting Matters: Essays in Honor of David Rosand. New York: Brepols.