|Born||January 25, 1950|
New York City, U.S.
|Alma mater||Colgate University|
|Occupation(s)||Chef, food writer, television, online personality|
|Spouse||Constance Childs (married 1983)|
|Children||Andrea and Sarah (daughters)|
Bjorn Rosengarten-Bowser (son)
Rosengarten was born in New York City  to Leonard Rosengarten, a garment industry executive, and Lorraine Stein. He married Constance Childs on October 15, 1983, in a wedding catered by Martha Stewart. His wife is the granddaughter of photographer Shirley Burden and actress Flobelle Fairbanks, who is a niece of actor Douglas Fairbanks. She is also a descendant of Cornelius Vanderbilt through her mother, who is a great-granddaughter of Florence Adele Vanderbilt Twombly and the last surviving granddaughter of the Vanderbilt family's patriarch. His two daughters, Andrea and Sarah, appeared frequently on Rosengarten's Food Network cooking show, which he called Taste. His son, Bjorn Rosengarten-Bowser, has appeared on Martha Stewart's collaborative "Emeril's Table" cooking show.
Rosengarten attended Colgate University where he earned a B.A. in 1971, holds a doctorate in dramatic literature from Cornell University (1980), and was an assistant professor of theater at Skidmore College.
Rosengarten was a contributing editor for Gourmet Magazine from 1995 to 1999, and was that magazine's New York restaurant critic. He published articles in several US newspapers including The New York Times, the New York Daily News, and The New York Observer, and he was the weekly wine columnist of Newsday.
Other magazines and web sites for whom he has written include Food & Wine, Bon Appetit, Harper's Bazaar, Departures, The Wine Spectator, Wine & Spirits, and The Wine Enthusiast; currently, he writes for Saveur, the Huffington Post, and Forbes.
From 2001 to 2007, Rosengarten wrote and published The Rosengarten Report, which in 2003 won a James Beard Award for "best food and wine newsletter." At its height, The Rosengarten Report had 50,000 paid subscribers.
- David Rosengarten Entertains: Fabulous Parties for Food Lovers (with Joshua Wesson) (2004) Wiley ISBN 0-471-46198-9
- The Dean & DeLuca Cookbook (1996), Random House ISBN 0-679-77003-8
- It's All American Food: The Best Recipes for More Than 400 New American Classics (2003) Little, Brown and Company ISBN 0-316-05315-5.
- Red Wine with Fish: The New Art of Matching Wine with Food (with Joshua Wesson) (1989), Simon & Schuster ISBN 0-671-66208-2
- Taste: One Palate's Journey through the World's Greatest Dishes (1998), Television Food Network, Random House ISBN 0-375-75265-X
Rosengarten's first hosting opportunity on the US channel Food Network was Food News & Views. He then created and hosted the program Taste, which premiered in February 1994 and ran for eight years on the Food Network, and co-hosted In Food Today with Donna Hanover He has also appeared frequently on NBC's Today show.
Entertainment Weekly had the following to say about Taste:
"Call it culinary voyeurism, but Taste is a cooking show even take-out addicts will find enthralling. David Rosengarten's orgasmic ruminations on 'lobster synergy' and the textural differences between Lebanese and Portuguese pine nuts will give 'bring to a boil' a whole new meaning."
- "About David Rosengarten". davidrosengarten.com. Archived from the original on January 30, 2009. Retrieved 2009-02-08.
- Contemporary Authors Online (2004) Gale (Cengage)
- "Constance Childs Is Married". The New York Times. 1983-10-16. ISSN 0362-4331. Retrieved 2022-04-20.
- "MRS. SHIRLEY C. BURDEN". timesmachine.nytimes.com. Retrieved 2022-04-20.
- "Cook's Tour--David Rosengarten". Cooking Light magazine. Retrieved 2009-02-11.
- "Biography of David Rosengarten" (PDF). Joseph H. Conlin Travel Management. Archived from the original (PDF) on 2009-02-21. Retrieved 2009-02-08.
- "Featured Chef". vealstore.com. Archived from the original on 2008-11-20. Retrieved 2009-02-08.
- "Professor Food". Honolulu Star-Bulletin. 2000-10-04. Retrieved 2009-02-08.
- Taste: One Palate's Journey through the World's Greatest Dishes (1998), Random House
- "David Rosengarten - Global Gourmet". Mostly Food Journal. Archived from the original on 2009-10-29. Retrieved 2009-02-08.
- "RosengartenTV". YouTube. Retrieved 11 November 2012.
- "Food and Wine Lovers' Mediterranean Odyssey" (PDF). Joseph H. Conlin Travel Management. Archived from the original (PDF) on 2011-07-13. Retrieved 2009-02-08.
- "India of the Maharajas" (PDF). Joseph H. Conlin Travel Management. Archived from the original (PDF) on 2007-07-09. Retrieved 2009-02-08.
- "Valentine's Day Quickie in Iceland". Joseph H. Conlin Travel Management. Archived from the original on February 17, 2009. Retrieved 2009-02-08.
- on 's channelYouTube