David S. H. Rosenthal
Rosenthal is the son of Michael David Holmes Rosenthal and Marjorie Mary "Molly" Rosenthal (both deceased). His brother Mark Geoffrey Thomas Rosenthal ran to be a member of parliament for Ynys Môn in 2015.
Rosenthal received an MA degree from Trinity College, Cambridge, England, and a PhD from Imperial College, London. In the 1980s he worked on the Andrew Project at Carnegie Mellon University with James Gosling. In 1985 he joined Sun Microsystems, and developed the NeWS Network extensible Window System with Gosling and co-authored a book on it. He developed the Inter-Client Communication Conventions Manual (ICCCM) for the X Window System in 1988, and was issued a patent on a security system for X. In 1993 he became employee #4 and chief scientist at Nvidia, and then joined Vitria Technology in 1996. In 1999 he rejoined Sun and was a distinguished engineer. He became chief scientist for the LOCKSS project, first at Sun and then since 2002 at Stanford University. His research concerned computer data storage long-term protection techniques.
He holds 23 patents.
- "Rosenthal: Obituary". BMDs Online. Daily Post. Trinity Mirror. 12 December 2013. Retrieved 2016-10-18.
- James H. Morris; Mahdev Satyanarayanan; Michael H. Conner; John H. Howard; David S.H. Rosenthal; F. Donelson Smith (March 1986). "Andrew, a Distributed Computing Environment" (PDF). Communications of the ACM. 29 (3): 184–201. doi:10.1145/5666.5671.
- James Gosling; David Rosenthal (1986). "A window manager for bitmapped displays and Unix". Proceedings of an Alvey Workshop on Methodology of window management. Springer-Verlag: 115–128. ISBN 3-540-16116-3.
- James Gosling; David S. H. Rosenthal; Michelle J. Arden (1989). The NeWS Book. Springer Verlag. pp. 34–36. ISBN 978-0-387-96915-2.
- U.S. Patent 5,073,933 X window security system, filed December 1, 1989, issued December 17, 1991.
- "Biographical sketch: Dr. David S. H. Rosenthal, Distinguished Engineer". Oracle labs web site. Archived from the original on January 27, 2011. Retrieved October 10, 2013.
- "David S. H. Rosenthal". LOCKSS. Retrieved May 3, 2011.
- David S. H. Rosenthal (October 2010). "Keeping Bits Safe: How Hard Can It Be?" (PDF). ACM Queue. 8 (10): 10. doi:10.1145/1866296.1866298. Retrieved October 10, 2013.
|P ≟ NP||This biographical article relating to a computer scientist is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|