David S. Rose
David S. Rose
David Semel Rose
June 12, 1957
|Alma mater||Yale University|
Columbia Business School
|Known for||Founder of New York Angels|
|Spouse(s)||Gail Ruth Gremse|
|Parent(s)||Joanna Semel Rose|
|Family||Gideon Rose (brother)|
Joseph Benedict Rose (brother)
Amy Rose Silverman (cousin)
David Semel Rose (born June 12, 1957) is an American serial entrepreneur and angel investor. He is an investor in startup technology companies and founder of New York Angels, an early-stage technology investment group. He is Managing Partner of Rose Tech Ventures, a venture fund focused on Internet-based business, and CEO of Gust (formerly known as AngelSoft), which operates a collaboration platform for early stage angel investing.
Early life and education
Rose is the son of Joanna (née Semel) and Daniel Rose. Rose attended New York City public schools and Horace Mann High School. He received his BA in Urban Affairs from Yale University in 1979, his MBA in Finance from Columbia Business School in 1983 and an honorary Doctor of Engineering degree from Stevens Institute of Technology.
Rose was involved in the early development of the Silicon Alley technology community in New York, including working with pre-Internet era online data services and founding Ex Machina, a computer software company; The Computer Classroom, an early personal computer training company; and AirMedia, an early wireless Internet information network.
Rose founded and runs a technology incubator in New York City and is a founding member of the Space Angels Network, an international investing group. In 2005, BusinessWeek magazine included an article titled 'The Pitch Coach' about his sessions for entrepreneurs seeking funding from venture capitalists and angel investors. He is an Associate Founder of Singularity University, the post-graduate program in accelerating technologies, and founded and chaired its Finance, Entrepreneurship and Economics track.
In 2014, Rose wrote the New York Times best-selling book "Angel Investing: The Gust Guide to Making Money & Having Fun Investing in Startups", to give guidance to investors considering investments in startups.
In 1982, he married Gail Ruth Gremse. They have three children.
- Colao, J. J. New York's Archangel. Forbes. June 4, 2012. (Accessed April 19, 2013)
- J. Alex Tarquinio. Giving Businesses Their Wings. New York Times. September 10, 2008. (Accessed October 12, 2011)
- The Rose Tech Ventures Team (Retrieved October 3, 2011)
- Bye, Adrian. "David S Rose From Rose Tech Ventures". meetinnovators.com. Retrieved October 13, 2011.
- "Entrepreneur David S. Rose Opens Up on the Magic of "Joining." Should You Follow Suit?". Grit Daily. Retrieved December 4, 2018.
- Sarah Perez. AngelSoft Relaunches as Gust.com, Now Connects Startups To Investors TechCrunch. September 13, 2011. ((Retrieved October 3, 2011)
- Brad Spirrison. "Angel investors brought together" Chicago Sun-Times. September 8, 2008. ((Retrieved October 12, 2011) abc
- New York Times: 'Gail Ruth Gremse Is Married to David Semel Rose" June 27, 1982
- "Horace Mann alumni class notes 1975 (Retrieved 17 November 2011)". Horacemannalumni.org. Archived from the original on February 8, 2012. Retrieved January 26, 2012.
- Yale Entrepreneurship Advisory Council (Retrieved November 17, 2011)
- Columbia Business School Private Equity Program 2011 – Silicon Alley Panel Archived December 12, 2011, at the Wayback Machine (Retrieved November 17, 2011)
- David S. Rose and Jeffrey J. Wilcox to address Stevens’ graduates Stevens Institute. April 29, 2010. (Retrieved October 13, 2011)
- Steven Malanga. Silicon Alley 2.0 City Journal. Autumn 2006. paragraph 27 (Retrieved October 13, 2011)
- Machine of the Year: The Computer Moves In Time magazine. January 3, 1983. paragraph 44 (Retrieved October 13, 2011)
- E-Commerce: Who Owns the Rights? BusinessWeek. July 29, 1996. (Retrieved October 13, 2011)
- Rose, David S.; Garrity, J. Peter (July 7, 1984). Business Applications of the IBM PC: an executive training seminar. The Computer Classroom, Inc.
- Airmedia Live gives wireless bulletins CNet. June 3, 1996. (Retrieved October 13, 2011)
- Behind The Money, Episode 37: David S. Rose seeks entrepreneurs for incubator Archived February 3, 2013, at Archive.today The Deal. August 11, 2008. (Retrieved October 13, 2011)
- Space Angels Network adds founding members Washington Business Journal. June 18, 2008. (Retrieved October 13, 2011)
- Michael Patterson. The Pitch Coach BusinessWeek. Fall, 2005. (Retrieved October 13, 2011)
- Singularity University Founders (Retrieved April 19, 2013)
- Singularity University Lectures: David S. Rose on Entrepreneurship. (Retrieved April 19, 2013)
- AngelInvesting.com. (Retrieved July 13, 2015)