David Matthew Sandner (born 1966) is an author and editor of fantasy literature and a professor at California State University, Fullerton.
Education and career
Sandner has a master's degree from San Francisco State University and a doctorate from the University of Oregon. His doctoral thesis was titled The Fairy Way of Writing: Fantastic literature from the romance revival to Romanticism, 1712–1830, and was completed in 2000. He is a professor in the Department of English, Comparative Literature, and Linguistics at California State University, Fullerton.
Sandner's books include:
- Mingus Fingers (with Jacob Weisman, Fairwood, 2019)
- The Fantastic Sublime: Romanticism and Transcendence in Nineteenth-century Children's Fantasy Literature (Greenwood, 1996)
- Critical Discourses of the Fantastic, 1712–1831 (Ashgate, 2011), a two time Mythopoeic Awards finalist
- Fantastic Literature: A Critical Reader (Praeger, 2004)
- The Treasury of the Fantastic (with Jacob Weisman, Tachyon Publications, 2013)
- Philip K. Dick: Essays of the Here and Now (McFarland, 2020)
- ^ Birth year from Library of Congress catalog entry, retrieved 2022-04-05
- ^ a b "David Sandner, Professor". Faculty profiles. California State University, Fullerton, Department of English, Comparative Literature, and Linguistics. Retrieved April 5, 2022.
- ^ Sandner, David Matthew (2000). The Fairy Way of Writing: Fantastic literature from the romance revival to Romanticism, 1712–1830 (PhD thesis). University of Oregon. Retrieved April 7, 2022 – via ProQuest.
- ^ Reviews of Mingus Fingers: Paul Di Filippo, Locus, ; Publishers Weekly, 
- ^ Review of The Fantastic Sublime: Carrie Hintz, Utopian Studies, JSTOR 20719727
- ^ Reviews of Critical Discourses of the Fantastic: Karl Bell, Victoriographies, doi:10.3366/vic.2014.0160; Paul Kincaid, Journal of the Fantastic in the Arts, JSTOR 24352980, ProQuest 1761612860; Andrew Mcinnes, Journal for Eighteenth-Century Studies, doi:10.1111/1754-0208.12236; Mandy Poetzsch, Zeitschrift für Fantastikforschung, ; Douglass H. Thomson, The Wordsworth Circle, doi:10.1086/TWC24065362, JSTOR 24065362; Joe Young, Mythlore, ; "Recent Articles", The Scriblerian and the Kit-Cats, doi:10.1353/scb.2013.0017
- ^ "Mythopoeic Awards finalists announced". News. Mythopoeic Society. June 11, 2014. Archived from the original on August 26, 2014.
- ^ Reviews of Fantastic Literature: A Critical Reader: Carl Freedman, "Fantastic Quest", Science Fiction Studies, JSTOR 4241392; Christine Mains, Journal of the Fantastic in the Arts, JSTOR 43308740
- ^ Reviews of The Treasury of the Fantastic: Charles de Lint, "Books To Look For", The Magazine of Fantasy & Science Fiction, ; Elizabeth Hand, "Box Of Delights", The Magazine of Fantasy & Science Fiction, 
- ^ Review of Philip K. Dick: Essays of the Here and Now: Anthony Enns, "Academia, Fandom, and Philip K. Dick", Science Fiction Studies, doi:10.1353/sfs.2021.0000, JSTOR 10.5621/sciefictstud.48.1.0171