|David Scheiner, M.D.|
|Born||David Lawrence Scheiner
|Institutions||Physicians for a National Health Program
University of Chicago Hospitals
Rush University Medical Center
|Alma mater||Princeton University
|Known for||Advocacy for single-payer health care|
Dr. David Scheiner (born 1938) is an American physician and activist, noted for his efforts in advocating for single-payer health care in the United States. He was United States President Barack Obama's personal physician from 1987 till 2008 while he was based in Chicago, and is a leading member of Physicians for a National Health Program (PNHP).
Education and practice
Dr. Scheiner graduated from Princeton University and gained his M.D. degree from Columbia University's College of Physicians and Surgeons, subsequent to which he practiced internal medicine in Chicago, Illinois for over 40 years with Hyde Park Associates, where his partner was Quentin Young, who had been personal physician to Martin Luther King, Jr. and has also similarly been instrumental in advocating single-payer health care. He currently still maintains his medical practice in Hyde Park and has worked for University of Chicago Hospitals and Rush University Medical Center.
Advocacy for health care
Scheiner has been a leading advocate of the single-payer health care system since its beginnings, along with his partner and good friend Quentin Young. In August 2009, Dr. Scheiner appeared on numerous television and media outlets, including CNN's Larry King Live, hosted by Wolf Blitzer, and HBO's Real Time with Bill Maher, hosted by Bill Maher, appearing as a proponent of a single-payer government health system, in view of the recent debate surrounding U.S. health care reforms proposed by President Obama, whose health care plans he termed as being too "timid". During his appearance on Larry King Live on August 11, 2009, when he headlined that day's episode, he discussed the issue with Blitzer and other commentators, including former Republican Party presidential candidate Ron Paul and Dean Ornish, stating how health insurance companies had interfered in the treatment of several of his patients and advocating usage of the single-payer system.
- Mike Dorning (2009-07-29). "Obama's longtime doctor says healthcare reform plan falls short". Los Angeles Times. Retrieved 2009-08-16.
- David Whelan (2009-06-18). "Obama's Doctor Knocks ObamaCare". Forbes. Retrieved 2009-08-16.
- "Letter From Obama's Doctor". Time. Archived from the original on June 25, 2009. Retrieved 2009-08-16.
- Stein, Sam (2009-07-29). "Obama's Doctor: President's Vision For Health Care Bound To Fail". Huffington Post. Retrieved 2009-08-16.
- "Obama's former doctor critical of White House health care plan". CNN. 2009-07-30. Retrieved 2009-08-19.
- "President Obama's Former Physician Wants More Sweeping Health Care Reform; Remembering Eunice Kennedy Shriver; John Hughes Remembered". Larry King Live. CNN. 2009-08-11. Retrieved 2009-08-16.