David Schwartz (lawyer)
This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Website||Official Gerstman Schwartz & Malito page|
David Schwartz (born August 6, 1967 in Brooklyn, New York City) is an American criminal defense attorney and former prosecutor from New York. Schwartz is partner at Gerstman Schwartz & Malito, a boutique law firm in New York City. Schwartz is the current attorney and media spokesperson representing Michael Cohen in the Stormy Daniels–Donald Trump scandal.
Schwartz currently practices law, lobbying (government relations) with his appearances in the United States Supreme Court, United States District Court of New York, United States Tax Court, New York State Supreme Court, New York City Criminal and Civil Court, and Nassau County District Court. He is also a member of the Forbes New York Business Council and appears in the media to comment on legal issues and represents parties in notable lawsuits.
During his career, Schwartz represented several defendants in high-profile cases including the rape trial of Nicki Minaj's brother and the Yellow Cab, New York taxi medallions owners and Uber.
The New York State Senate appointed Schwartz as a member of its commission on judicial nomination of Justices to the New York Court of Appeals. He also served as a trustee of the Brooklyn Bar Association. Schwartz practiced law as a litigator, a lobbyist and advocate of businesses, trade associations, not-for-profits and individuals during the past decades. He served the People of the State of New York as an Assistant District Attorney in Kings County from 1993 to 1997. In this position, Schwartz handled hundreds of criminal prosecutions.
Stormy Daniels−Donald Trump scandal
During the Stormy Daniels-Trump story, Schwartz acted as Cohen's attorney and representative in the media. For example, Schwartz had on March 19, 2018, a heated discussion on CNN with Stormy Daniel's attorney Michael Avenatti about a contested non disclosure agreement.
- "Michael Cohen's lawyer reacts to Stormy Daniels' "60 Minutes" interview". CBS News. March 26, 2018.
- "Trump's Lawyer Has a Lawyer. Watch a Live Studio Audience Laugh at Him on National TV". Esquire. March 30, 2018.
- "Lawyers for Stormy Daniels, Michael Cohen erupt at each other: 'You're gonna go down in flames'". The Washington Post. March 21, 2018.
- "Nicki Minaj Is Supporting Brother '100 Percent' During His Child Sex Abuse Trial, Defense Lawyer Says". People. October 12, 2017.
- "Defense stresses 'shakedown' claim during lengthy closing arguments in rape trial of Nicki Minaj's brother". New York Daily News. November 7, 2017.
- "Brooklyn Judge Denies Uber's Bid to Arbitrate Disabled Rider's Case". New York Law Journal. June 7, 2018.
- "Judge tosses taxi-medallion owners' case to the curb". New York Post. December 6, 2017.
- "David M. Schwartz Named Chair of Brooklyn Bar Association's Criminal Court of the City of NY Committee". Criminal Lawer NY. October 3, 2008.
- "Donald Trump denies knowing lawyer paid Stormy Daniels $130,000, in first public statement on scandal". The Independent.
- "Cohen's friend: He will come out big and annihilate". CNN. March 27, 2018.
- "Lawyers for Daniels, Cohen trade barbs over 'goon' she says threatened her". CNN. March 26, 2018.