David Shambaugh (Chinese: 沈大伟; born January 18, 1953) is a professor of political science and international affairs at the George Washington University in Washington DC, as well as a non-resident senior fellow at the Brookings Institution.
Shambaugh was the son of George E. Shambaugh, Jr.. He earned his bachelor's degree from the Elliott School of International Affairs, where he now teaches. He received his M.A. in international affairs from the Johns Hopkins University's Paul H. Nitze School of Advanced International Studies, and his PhD in political science from the University of Michigan.
Shambaugh is regarded inside and outside China as an authority on China's foreign policy, military and security issues and Chinese politics, and has been cited in the state media. He is a regular media commentator, and has acted as an advisor to the United States government and several private foundations and corporations. He was formerly the editor of the China Quarterly, and is a member of the Council on Foreign Relations. Shambaugh's book China Goes Global was selected by The Economist as one of the best books of the year. In 2015 researchers at the China Foreign Affairs University named him the second-most influential China expert in the United States.
- China's Future (Polity, 2016)
- China Goes Global: The Partial Power (Oxford University Press, 2013)
- Charting China's Future: Domestic and International Challenges (2011)
- China's Communist Party: Atrophy & Adaptation (2008)
- American and European Relations with China (2008)
- International Relations of Asia (2008)
- Power Shift: China & Asia's New Dynamics (2005)
- China Watching: Perspectives from Europe, Japan, and the United States (2007)
- China-Europe Relations (2007)
- Modernizing China's Military (2003)
- The Odyssey of China's Imperial Art Treasures (2005)
- The Modern Chinese State (2000)
- Is China Unstable: Assessing the Factors (2000)
- China's Military Faces the Future (1999)
- The China Reader: The Reform Era (1998)
- Chinese Foreign Policy: Theory and Practice (1996)
- Deng Xiaoping: Portrait of a Chinese Statesman (1995)
- Beautiful Imperialist (1993)
- China's Military in Transition (1991)
- The Making of a Premier: Zhao Ziyang's Provincial Career (1984)
His books have been translated into Chinese and published in China.
- Elliott School of International Affairs, Faculty: David Shambaugh Archived 2012-04-15 at the Wayback Machine
- Brookings Institution, ‘Experts: David Shambaugh' Archived November 9, 2011, at the Wayback Machine
- Elliott School of International Affairs Briefing - Kudos ESIA Briefing Feb 2014