He started his career in 1982 at the BBC World Service as a studio manager and subsequently a talk producer. In 1987 he moved to television and thereafter produced eight documentary films and two major documentary film series for the BBC. In 1999, he left the BBC to form his own production company DOX Productions, Ltd. Since then, he has made multiple television films. , as well as seven feature documentary films.
In 1987 he married the American literary scholar and writer Pamela Neville with whom he collaborated on a book on the influence of utopian thought. Pamela died in March 2017. The couple had no children.
In 1999, he was awarded the Walter Sullivan Award for Excellence in Science Journalism. In 2000, he was made an Honorary member of Sigma Xi, The Scientific Research Society His film Project Poltergeist won a prestigious Grierson Award in 2004.
- 2015 The Fear of 13 (Netflix)
- 2011 The Flaw (animated by Peter J. Richardson)
- 2006 Dimming of the Sun (PBS NOVA)
- 2005 Global Dimming (BBC Horizon)
He has co-written the following books:
- Lamb, Simon; Sington, David (September 1998). Earth Story: The Shaping of Our World. Princeton Univ Press. pp. 256pp. ISBN 978-0-691-00229-3.
- Neville-Sington, Pamela, Sington, David and Songton, David (4 November 1993). Paradise Dreamed. Bloomsbury Publishing PLC. pp. 256pp. ISBN 978-0-7475-1293-6.CS1 maint: multiple names: authors list (link)
- "David Sington wins Walter Sullivan Award for Excellence in Science Journalism". American Geophysical Union. 1999-04-15.
- "David Sington: "At the end of 90 minutes the audience does feel it really knows these remarkable men."". indieWIRE. 2007-01-16. Archived from the original on 2007-03-01.
- "Sington Receives the 1999 Walter Sullivan Award". American Geophysical Union.
- "Finnmark 2007 The Expedition".
- Pamela Neville-Sington. The Times, 15 March 2017. Retrieved 3 August 2017. (subscription required)
- "IN THE SHADOW OF THE MOON UK 2006 Director: David Sington". Archived from the original on 2007-12-18.
- "David Sington, 2000 Honorary Member". Sigma xi: The Scientific Research Society.
- "The Fear of 13". Dogwoof Ltd. Retrieved 4 January 2016.
- "Meet the 2011 Sundance Filmmakers | "The Flaw" Director David Sington". IndieWire. January 3, 2011. Retrieved July 21, 2016.
- Robert Koehler (January 23, 2011). "Review: 'The Flaw'". Variety. Retrieved July 21, 2016.