|Minister of State for Justice|
19 May 2016
|Preceded by||New office|
15 February 1957 |
Midleton, Cork, Ireland
|Political party||Fine Gael|
|Spouse(s)||Mary Lehane (m. 1990)|
|Alma mater||University College Cork|
David Stanton (born 15 February 1957) is an Irish Fine Gael politician who has served as Minister of State for Justice since May 2016. He has been a Teachta Dála (TD) since 1997, currently for the Cork East constituency.
Stanton was born in County Cork. He was educated at St. Colman's Vocational School, Midleton; Sharman Crawford Technical Institute, Cork and University College Cork where he received a Bachelor of Arts degree in Sociology and Mathematical Studies. Before entering politics, he was a woodwork and technical drawing teacher and a career guidance counsellor in St. Colman's Community College in Midleton. Stanton served in the Reserve Defence Forces (RDF) as an officer in the Army Reserve. He is married to Mary Lehane and they have four sons.
Stanton was first elected to Dáil Éireann at the 1997 general election and has been re-elected at every general election since. He was party spokesperson on Social and Family Affairs, and Equality from 2004 to 2007. Prior to this he acted as deputy spokesperson on Education and Science, and spokesperson on Labour Affairs, Consumer Rights and Trade from 1997 to 2002. From 2007 to 2010, he was party Assistant Chief Whip (Dáil Reform) with special responsibility for Disability Issues. In July 2010, he was appointed party spokesperson on Defence.
- "Mr. David Stanton". Oireachtas Members Database. Retrieved 1 November 2009.
- O'Halloran, Marie (28 February 2016). "Profile: David Stanton (FG)". The Irish Times. Retrieved 21 March 2016.
- "David Stanton". ElectionsIreland.org. Retrieved 1 November 2009.
- "Bruton & Noonan return to Fine Gael frontbench". RTÉ News. 1 July 2010. Archived from the original on 4 July 2010. Retrieved 3 July 2010.
- "List of Ministers and Ministers of State". Dept. of the Taoiseach. Retrieved 21 May 2016.
|Fine Gael Teachta Dála for Cork East