David Steel (Royal Navy officer)
|Sir David Steel|
Sir David Steel
|Born||6 April 1961|
|Years of service||1979–2015|
|Commands held||Second Sea Lord
HM Naval Base Portsmouth
|Awards||Knight Commander of the Order of the British Empire
Queen's Commendation for Valuable Service
Steel joined the Royal Navy in 1979. His early career was spent in a variety of sea and shore appointments, including as the Fleet Legal Adviser. In December 1999, while serving in the aircraft carrier HMS Invincible, he was commended for valuable service in support of operations in Kosovo and Macedonia earlier that year. In November 2005 he assumed command of HM Naval Base Portsmouth and in that capacity was honoured for his "inspirational leadership" during the battle against government cuts in 2007. He was also appointed Chief Naval Logistics Officer and ADC to Her Majesty The Queen. In November 2008 he was appointed Director of Service Personnel Policy (Pay and Allowances) at the Ministry of Defence and, in April 2010, he was promoted to Rear Admiral and appointed Naval Secretary. He was promoted to Vice Admiral and appointed Second Sea Lord in October 2012.
Already Commander of the Order of the British Empire (CBE), he was appointed Knight Commander of the Order of the British Empire (KBE) in the 2015 New Year Honours.
Later professional life
In 2011, Steel was appointed as a Director of Portsmouth Cultural Trust. He is a Deputy Lieutenant of Hampshire, a Freeman of the City of London, a Trustee of the Marine Society & Sea Cadets, and a Bencher of the Middle Temple. He is also a Trustee of the Boleh Trust and an ambassador for the Woodland Trust.
Honours and decorations
- "Chief of Naval Personnel & Training and Second Sea Lord". MOD – Royal Navy. Archived from the original on 2 April 2014. Retrieved 22 June 2013.
- "No. 55711". The London Gazette (Supplement). 31 December 1999. p. 43.
- Hands off our base Portsmouth News, 17 October 2007
- Royal Navy Logistics officers' conference – A NAVSUP perspective Navy Supply Corps Newsletter, 1 September 2008
- Royal Navy Engineer takes command of Portsmouth Naval Base Queen's Harbour Master, 17 November 2008
- Next 2SL is appointed Navy News, February 2010
- Ups and outs July 2012 Defence Viewpoints
- "No. 61092". The London Gazette (Supplement). 31 December 2014. p. N5.
- "New Year Honours for service personnel and defence civilians 2015". Retrieved 31 December 2014.
- "Portsmouth Cultural Trust Trustees: Director". Retrieved 25 March 2015.
- "No. 60930". The London Gazette. 14 July 2014. p. 13797.
- "Vice Admiral David Steel". Royal Navy. Archived from the original on 2 April 2014. Retrieved 26 March 2015.
- "11th Annual Court of Marine Society & Sea Cadets". Marine Society & Sea Cadets. Retrieved 30 October 2015.
- "Masters of the Bench". Middle Temple. Retrieved 24 March 2015.
- "Trustees of Boleh Trust". Retrieved 12 May 2015.
- "Battle of Jutland Memorial Wood". Woodland Trust. Retrieved 13 May 2016.
Sir Charles Montgomery
|Second Sea Lord