Steicke during a break at the final table of Event #23 of the 39th WSOP, 2008
|Born||28 October 1962 (age 54)
Murray Bridge, South Australia, Australia
|World Series of Poker|
Main Event finish
|World Poker Tour|
David Paul Steicke (born 28 October 1962 in Murray Bridge, South Australia) is a poker player based in Hong Kong. When the Asia Pacific Poker Tour brought poker to nearby Macau for the first time in November 2007, he placed third in the US$15,000 High Roller no limit Texas hold 'em event, winning US$110,592.
Steicke has gained a reputation as an expert at high roller no limit events. At the 2009 Aussie Millions A$100,000 no limit hold 'em Challenge (Event #8) Steicke earned his biggest career prize of A$1.2 million (US$807,780). David credited his win to a good run of cards but reporters at the event praised his impressive reads and aggressive play, which included a pivotal bluff against Tony Bloom.
In the hand, the flop came  When later asked about the hand, David explained, "Tony Bloom was getting control of the table and in the end it was a bluff … at the time I wasn't really sure. I thought I had the jack of diamonds at first. I guess he laid down top pair, but I've laid down top pair before when there was four to a flush on board." . Steicke's $100,000 bet into a $60,000 pot was called by Bloom. The came on the turn. Steicke bet $150,000 and was again called by Bloom. When the came on the river, putting 4 diamonds on board, Steicke fired once more with a $200,00 bet. A call was pondered by Bloom, but eventually he folded. Immedlately, Steicke turned over and showed Bloom the bluff. The hand left Steicke in control with $1.4 million in chips, while Bloom was left crippled, having only $400,000 chips remaining.
Steicke had his second biggest win (US$506,260) at the 2011 Epic Poker Main Event, where he finished second in a field of 97. He began heads-up play against Michael McDonald with a small chip lead and one point, had his opponent all-in. However, David's did not improve against McDonald's pocket sixes.
- "APPT Macau 2007 High Roller Event". Pokerstars.com. Retrieved 2008-06-17.
- "Steicke Sticks It To APT Macau High Rollers". Poker Network. Retrieved 2009-09-12.
- "Poker News Interview". Pokernews.com. Retrieved 2009-01-19.
- "Poker News Live Reporting". Pokernews.com. Retrieved 2009-01-19.
- 2009 Aussie Millions $100k: Steicke Wins It All!, pokerlistings.com, accessed 25 February 2010.
- "High Roller David Steicke Wins the Aussie Millions". Pokerlistings.com. Retrieved 2011-09-12.
- "Event Two Main Event Final Table Recap". Epic Poker. Archived from the original on 25 September 2011. Retrieved 2011-09-11.
- "Player Profile: David Paul Steicke". World Series of Poker. Retrieved 2009-09-12.
- "China All Time Money List". Hendon Mob. Retrieved 2008-06-17.