Stephens playing for Barnet in 2013
|Full name||David Rhys Remington Stephens|
|Date of birth||8 October 1991|
|Place of birth||Welwyn Garden City, England|
|Height||6 ft 4 in (1.93 m)|
|2010||→ Lincoln City (loan)||3||(0)|
* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only and correct as of 20:17, 26 April 2015 (UTC).
David Rhys Remington Stephens (born 8 October 1991) is a footballer who plays as a defender. Stephens has previously played for Norwich City, Lincoln City and Hibernian. He has represented Wales at youth international levels up to and including the Wales U21 team.
Youth team at Norwich City
Born in Welwyn Garden City, Hertfordshire, Stephens joined Norwich City's Academy as a 13-year-old. He was initially preferred in a central midfield role, but is now primarily thought of as a central defender.
Stephens signed a professional contract with Norwich in June 2009. His first team debut came on 6 October 2009, as a substitute in a 1–0 win over Gillingham in the Football League Trophy. On 19 March 2010, Stephens joined Football League Two side Lincoln City on loan for the remainder of the 2009–10 season.
Stephens signed for Scottish Premier League team Hibernian on a three-year deal in July 2010. Stephens made his debut for Hibs as a substitute in the opening day 3–2 win at Motherwell on 15 August. He made 29 appearances in just over two years with Hibs.
Stephens left Hibs on 31 August 2012 and signed for Football League Two club Barnet. Stephens played regularly for Barnet, forming several different centre back partnerships throughout the course of the 2012–13 season. Barnet lost 10 of their first 13 games under manager Mark Robson, which led to the signing of Edgar Davids as a player/manager. Barnet kept 15 clean sheets out of 46 games in the League in total, but Barnet were relegated following a 2–0 loss to Northampton on the final day of the season. David was voted Barnet's Player of the Season by supporters in 2012–13 and again in 2013–14. After promotion in 2014–15, Stephens rejected a new deal at Barnet and left the club on 1 July 2015.
Stephens made his debut for the Wales under-17 side on 27 August 2007 in a 2–1 friendly win over Belgium, before scoring his first goal for the side two days later as a substitute during a second 2–1 victory over Belgium. Having established himself in the team, he featured in all three matches of the first qualifying round as well as in two matches of the elite round of qualifying for the 2008 UEFA European Under-17 Football Championship, scoring his second under-17 goal in a 1–1 draw with Slovenia. He made his final appearance at under-17 level on 19 July 2008 in a 1–0 defeat to Sweden.
Three months later, Stephen moved up to the Wales under-19 squad, being handed his debut in a 0–0 draw with Montenegro on 30 September 2008. He was also part of the unsuccessful under-19 squads for the qualifying rounds of both the 2009 and 2010 UEFA European Under-19 Football Championship, scoring his first goal at under-19 level on 8 November 2009 in a 3–1 win over Macedonia. He made his debut at under-21 level on 10 August 2010 in a 1–1 draw with Malta.
- Conference Premier
- Champions: 2014–15
|Lincoln City (loan)||2009–10||3||0||0||0||0||0||0||0||3||0|
- Hugman, Barry J., ed. (2010). The PFA Footballers' Who's Who 2010–11. Mainstream Publishing. p. 392. ISBN 978-1-84596-601-0.
- "Gillingham 0–1 Norwich". BBC Sport (BBC). 6 October 2009. Retrieved 2009-10-06.
- "Lincoln City sign Norwich City's David Stephens on loan". BBC Sport. BBC. 19 March 2010. Retrieved 2010-03-20.
- "Promising Defender Agrees To Join". www.hibernianfc.co.uk (Hibernian FC). 5 July 2010. Retrieved 5 July 2010.
- "Stephens Leaves Hibernian". www.hibernianfc.co.uk (Hibernian FC). 31 August 2012. Retrieved 31 August 2012.
- "Barnet sign Hibernian defender David Stephens on free transfer". BBC Sport (BBC). 31 August 2012. Retrieved 31 August 2012.
- David Stephens departs
- "Wales 2–1 Belgium". Football Association of Wales. 27 August 2007. Retrieved 2009-11-11.
- "Wales 2–1 Belgium". Football Association of Wales. 29 August 2007. Retrieved 2009-11-11.
- "Slovenia 1–1 Wales". Football Association of Wales. 17 March 2008. Retrieved 2009-11-11.
- "Sweden 1–0 Wales". Football Association of Wales. 19 July 2008. Retrieved 2009-11-11.
- "Wales 0–0 Montenegro". Football Association of Wales. 30 September 2008. Retrieved 2009-11-11.
- "Macedonia 1–3 Wales". Football Association of Wales. 8 November 2009. Retrieved 2009-11-11.
- "Malta 1–1 Wales". Football Association of Wales. 10 August 2010. Retrieved 2010-08-10.
- David Stephens career statistics at Soccerbase
- "David Stephens". www.fitbastats.com. Retrieved 19 June 2012.