|Associate Justice of the Minnesota Supreme Court|
July 1, 2010
|Appointed by||Tim Pawlenty|
|Preceded by||Lorie Gildea|
July 4, 1974 |
Wichita, Kansas, U.S.
|Alma mater||University of Kansas, Lawrence (BA, MBA, JD)|
David Ryan Stras (born July 4, 1974) is an Associate Justice of the Minnesota Supreme Court.
Early life and education
Stras was born on July 4, 1974 in Wichita, Kansas. He received a B.A. with highest honors and an M.B.A. from the University of Kansas where he became a member of Theta Chi Fraternity. In 1999, he earned a J.D. from the University of Kansas School of Law, where he served as editor-in-chief of the Criminal Procedure Edition of the Kansas Law Review.
Stras clerked on two federal courts of appeal, for Judges Melvin Brunetti on the United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit and J. Michael Luttig on the United States Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit. Stras then worked at the D.C. office of Sidley Austin Brown & Wood for a year, after which he clerked for Justice Clarence Thomas of the United States Supreme Court.
Stras was a professor of law at the University of Minnesota Law School from 2004 to 2010, teaching and writing in the areas of federal courts and jurisdiction, constitutional law, criminal law, and law and politics. He also served as co-director of the Institute for Law and Politics. Stras has contributed to research on such topics as judicial pensions and life tenure for judges. He has also studied judicial appointments and the politics of courts.
Stras was appointed to the Minnesota Supreme Court by Governor Tim Pawlenty, with his term beginning on July 1, 2010. He was sworn in on July 12, 2010 in a public ceremony. Stras was elected to a six-year term in 2012. Prior to his appointment, he was a frequent guest on legal topics at Minnesota Public Radio. He is believed to be the first Jewish justice on the Minnesota Supreme Court. He was on President Donald Trump's list of potential Supreme Court justices.
- "Minnesota Supreme Court, Seat 4: Stras v. Tingelstad". Minnesota Lawyer. October 5, 2012. Retrieved February 22, 2014.
- "Professor Stras Named to Minnesota Supreme Court Bench". University of Minnesota Law School. May 13, 2010. Retrieved February 22, 2014.
- "Biographies of the Justices of the Minnesota Supreme Court". Minnesota State Law Library. Archived from the original on January 5, 2014. Retrieved February 22, 2014.
- "Judge Profile: Associate Justice David R. Stras". Minnesota Judicial Branch. Retrieved February 22, 2014.
- "Chief Justice Lorie S. Gildea, Justice David R. Stras Sworn In During Public Ceremony". Minnesota Judicial Branch. July 13, 2010. Retrieved February 22, 2014.
- Cohen, Mark (July 19, 2010). "Is Stras the first Jewish Minnesota high court justice?". MinnLawyer Blog. Archived from the original on December 7, 2013. Retrieved February 22, 2014.
- COLVIN, JILL. "TRUMP UNVEILS LIST OF HIS TOP SUPREME COURT PICKS". Associated Press. Retrieved 18 May 2016.
- Bryan, Erin Elliott (October 10, 2012). "A Jew on Minnesota's high court". American Jewish World. Archived from the original on March 2, 2014. Retrieved February 22, 2014.
- Tribute, Distinguished Scholar, Dedicated Teacher, and now Justice: David R. Stras
- Published Articles on Various Legal Topics.
- Associate Justice David R. Stras Profile - Minnesota Supreme Court
- 2012 Campaign Website
- On Minnesota Supreme Court David Stras found unlikely allies - MPR News - Newscut Blog - Bob Collins May 18, 2016
- Appearances on C-SPAN
|Associate Justice of the Minnesota Supreme Court