Swallow playing for Gold Coast in 2017
|Full name||David Swallow|
|Date of birth||19 November 1992|
|Original team(s)||East Fremantle (WAFL)|
|Draft||No. 1, 2010 national draft|
Round 2, 2011, Gold Coast|
vs. Carlton, at the Gabba
|Height||185 cm (6 ft 1 in)|
|Weight||87 kg (192 lb)|
|Current club||Gold Coast|
|2011–||Gold Coast||139 (68)|
1 Playing statistics correct to the end of the 2019 season.
|Sources: AFL Tables, AustralianFootball.com|
David Swallow (born 19 November 1992) is an Australian rules footballer playing for the Gold Coast Suns in the Australian Football League (AFL). Swallow won the Gold Coast Suns Club Champion award in 2014, becoming the second player to win the award after Gary Ablett Jr. won the award in the club's first three seasons. He received a nomination for the 2011 AFL Rising Star award in round 14 of the 2011 season. Swallow has served as Gold Coast co-captain since the 2019 season.
Swallow is the younger brother of former North Melbourne captain and dual Syd Barker Medallist Andrew Swallow. He attended Shelley Primary School and Rossmoyne Senior High School, and played his junior football at Rossmoyne Junior Football Club. Swallow was named on the half-back line of the 2009 Under-18 All Australian team as a 16-year-old, and was awarded the Larke Medal as the Under-18 competition's best player.
In 2010, despite not yet being drafted by an AFL team, Swallow was permitted to play in Gold Coast's Victorian Football League (VFL) team prior to the club's inaugural season in 2011. This meant that if Gold Coast wanted to draft Swallow, the club had to select him with one of the first three picks in the 2010 AFL draft. However, it was widely assumed that Swallow would be taken with the first pick in the draft, which was confirmed on 19 November.
Swallow was part of the inaugural Gold Coast Suns team which played against Carlton in round 2 of the 2011 AFL season. He was also part of the club's first victory against Port Adelaide in round 5. After a 21-possession, two-goal performance against the Western Bulldogs in round 14, Swallow was nominated for the 2011 AFL Rising Star award.
In November 2018, Swallow signed a five-year contract extension with the Suns, tying him to the club until the end of 2024.
- Statistics are correct to the end of the 2019 season.
|Totals||Averages (per game)|
Honours and achievements
- Gold Coast co-captain: 2019–present
- Gold Coast Suns Club Champion: 2014
- 22under22 team: 2014
- AFL Rising Star nominee: 2011
- Gold Coast snaps up David Swallow
- WA dominates All-Australian side Archived 5 December 2010 at the Wayback Machine
- Swallow, Hooper 2009 Larke Medallists
- West Australian Swallow joins Gold Coast Football Club Archived 6 July 2011 at the Wayback Machine
- How the Coasters enticed a Swallow to take flight
- "Gold Coast SUNS outstanding results at the 2010 NAB Draft". Gold Coast FC. 18 November 2010. Archived from the original on 29 November 2010. Retrieved 18 November 2010.
- "Ablett dethroned: Young Sun a club champ". AustralianFootball.com. 5 September 2014. Retrieved 5 September 2014.
- Bowen, Nick (7 November 2018). "Gun Suns midfielder signs on until end of 2024". afl.com.au. Retrieved 7 November 2018.
- Whiting, Michael (25 February 2019). "Suns shock: Former Pie co-captain, ex-Cat a leader". afl.com.au. Retrieved 25 February 2019.
- "David Swallow". AFL Tables. Retrieved 25 March 2019.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to David Swallow.|