|Sir David Tang|
2 August 1954 |
British Hong Kong
|Alma mater||King's College, London|
Sir David Tang, KBE (Chinese name: 鄧永鏘) (Cantonese pinyin: Tang6 Wing5 Cheung1; Mandarin pinyin: Dèng Yǒngqiāng) (born 2 August 1954) is a Hong Kong businessman and concert pianist who has often been spoken of as a socialite and is best known as the founder of the Shanghai Tang fashion chain, which he sold in 2006 to Richemont. Tang's grandfather, Tang Shiu Kin, "founded the Kowloon bus company and became one of Hong Kong's greatest philanthropists".
Following his primary education at La Salle Primary School, Tang was sent to The Perse School, Cambridge, aged 13, hardly being able to speak a word of English. He then went to King's College London to read Philosophy and then Law. In 1983–84, he taught at Peking University.
Tang is the founder of the China Clubs (Hong Kong, Peking, and Singapore), the Shanghai Tang stores, Havana House and Pacific Cigar Company Ltd (the exclusive distributor for all Cuban cigars in Asia Pacific). More recently Tang opened the Cipriani in Hong Kong and the China Tang restaurant at the Dorchester Hotel. Tang is also a director and advisor to a number of boards, including Tommy Hilfiger.
Tang was promoted from OBE to Knight Commander of the Order of the British Empire (KBE) in the 2008 New Year Honours. He has also been honoured by the French Government as Chevalier of the Ordre des Arts et des Lettres (1995).
He also received the award for Outstanding Achievement in Art and Design at the Asian Awards in 2014.
Tang was invited to provide a weekly English column for the Chinese-language Hong Kong newspaper Apple Daily. A selection of his articles has been published in a book An Apple a Week (published July 2006). He also contributes an "agony uncle" column to the weekend Financial Times, in which he responds to readers' social dilemmas invariably in a satirical way.
- "China's rising, and so should Chinese-style fashion, says designer...". AsiaOne. 25 June 2007. Retrieved 30 August 2010.
- "A Life in the Day: David Tang" The Sunday Times, 20 May 2007. Retrieved 9 July 2011.
- Jacobs, Emma (23 September 2010). "20 questions: Sir David Tang". Financial Times. Retrieved 26 September 2013.
- "Things to do in Hong Kong – Find Out what to do in Hong Kong, including sports, festivals, and markets | Sir David Tang". Time Out. Retrieved 15 September 2013.
- "Brief Biography of Tang, David". Reuters. Retrieved 26 September 2013.
- "Stock Quotes & Company News". Reuters. 9 February 2009. Retrieved 15 September 2013.
- Webster, Philip (29 December 2007). "Kylie Minogue and Michael Parkinson lead list...". The Times. London. Retrieved 20 July 2010.
- "The Pacific Cigar Company Limited – The Habanos S.A. Asia Pacific Exclusive Distributor". Pacificcigar.com. Retrieved 15 September 2013.
- "Sir David Tang: meet London's best-connected man who is friends with everyone from Kate Moss to Eric Schmidt". Evening Standard. 7 May 2015. Retrieved 23 May 2016.
- "Sir David Tang". theasianawards.com. Retrieved 24 May 2016.
- "Protocol Division Government Secretariat – Cuba". Government of Hong Kong. 17 August 2009. Retrieved 15 September 2013.
- "Protocol Division Government Secretariat". Government of Hong Kong. Retrieved 15 September 2013.
- David Tang (1 August 2012). "It is China's turn to eclipse America's power – Comment". London Evening Standard. Retrieved 15 September 2013.
- ICorrect – Setting the Record Straight