David Thompson (writer)
His theatre credits include And The World Goes 'Round (Drama Desk and Outer Circle Critics Awards), The Look of Love, Thou Shalt Not, Flora the Red Menace (Drama Desk Nomination), Steel Pier (Tony Award nomination), and the 1996 Broadway revival of Chicago, to which he contributed a new book.
Thompson also wrote the book for John Kander and Fred Ebb's The Scottsboro Boys (Drama Desk Award Nomination, Tony Award nomination, Outer Circle Critics Award, Lucille Lortel Award). Thompson also wrote an adaptation of A Christmas Carol for the McCarter Theatre. He is currently writing the book for musical adaptations of the 1930s films The Blue Angel and Little Miss Marker, and both are to be directed by Scott Ellis.
For television, Thompson wrote Sondheim - A Celebration at Carnegie Hall (Emmy Award nomination), the PBS specials "Razzle Dazzle", "Bernstein on Broadway", "The Music of Richard Rodgers" and Great Performances' "My Favorite Broadway".
Awards and nominations
- 1997: Tony Award nomination for Best Book of a Musical, Steel Pier (musical)
- 2010: Drama Desk Award for Outstanding Book of a Musical, The Scottsboro Boys
- 2011: Tony Awards nomination for Best Book of a Musical, The Scottsboro Boys
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2012-10-17. Retrieved 2012-07-30.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link) scottsboromusical.com
- The Broadway League. "David Thompson | AWARDS". IBDB.
- Andrew Gans. "Red, Memphis, Bridge, Fences and La Cage Win Drama Desk Awards" Archived 2014-03-02 at the Wayback Machine. May 2010.
- Hetrick, Adam and Jones, Kenneth."Kander and Ebb's 'The Scottsboro Boys' to Play the Guthrie" Archived 2010-05-26 at the Wayback Machine playbill.com, April 22, 2010
- Robert Simonson. "Scottsboro Librettist David Thompson Working on New Musicals With Stew, Scott Ellis". Playbill, April 1, 2010.
- "David Thompson Biography". Broadway World. Wisdom Digital Media. Retrieved 13 November 2016.