This article does not cite any sources. (June 2007) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
David Toguri (25 October 1933, Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada – 15 November 1997, Toronto, Ontario, Canada) was an award-winning Japanese-Canadian choreographer, director and actor, based for most of his career in the UK. He died of cancer.
Stage choreography credits
- The Baker's Wife. Phoenix Theatre. Directed by Trevor Nunn.
- Measure for Measure. Directed by Trevor Nunn.
- The Blue Angel. Directed by Trevor Nunn.
- The Rocky Horror Show
- Street Scene. London Coliseum for English National Opera.
- Pacific Overtures. London Coliseum for English National Opera.
- Many shows at the National Theatre including The Threepenny Opera and The Beggar's Opera and Guys and Dolls (1982) which won the Olivier Award for Best Choreography. He also directed and choreographed the show in Australia in 1986 and returned to the National production for its 1996 revival.
- "Pa Pa Can You Hear Me Sing" (1989). A musical in Cantonese, directed by Ho Yi for Spotlight Productions, for the Urban Council, Hong Kong
- Blitz! (1990). Playhouse Theatre for the National Youth Theatre.
- Maggie May (1992). Royalty Theatre for the National Youth Theatre.
Film and television choreography credits
- Peter's Friends (1992) (choreographer)
- Memphis Belle (1990) (choreographer)
- Mack the Knife (1990) (choreographer) aka The Threepenny Opera
- Who Framed Roger Rabbit (1988) (choreographer: UK)
- The Little Match Girl (1987) (TV) (choreographer)
- Absolute Beginners (1986) (choreographer)
- Give My Regards to Broad Street (1984) (choreographer)
- Jazzin' for Blue Jean (1984) (V) (choreographer)
- Blue Money (1982) (TV) (choreographer)
- The Rocky Horror Picture Show (1975) (dance stager)
- Eskimo Nell (1975) (choreographer) aka The Ballad of Eskimo Nell
- The Wednesday Play (choreographer) (1 episode, 1970)
- No Trams to Lime Street (1970) TV Episode (choreographer)
- The Devil Rides Out (1968) (choreographer) aka The Devil's Bride (USA)
- Rock Follies (1976) (choreographer)
- Flower Drum Song Movie . . . dancer
- Flower Drum Song Broadway cast Dancer
- Flower Drum Song (1961, Palace Theatre) .... Dancer (uncredited)
- Chaganog (1964) Edinburgh Festival and subsequently at the Vaudeville Theatre
- Charlie Girl (1965) .... Adelphi Theatre
- Three Hats for Lisa (1965) (UK) .... Dancer aka One Day in London
- Koroshi (1966) (TV) (UK: series title) .... Commander Yamada aka Danger Man: Koroshi
- You Only Live Twice (1967, aka Ian Fleming's You Only Live Twice (USA: complete title) .... Assassin in Bedroom
- Shinda Shima (1968, TV Episode) .... Commander Yamada
- Danger Man (1 episode, 1968) aka Secret Agent aka Danger Man (USA: video box title) .... Commander Yamada
- There's a Nasty Word (1969, TV Episode – Love) .... Ibuki
- The Troubleshooters (1969, 1 episode, - aka Mogul (USA) .... Ibuki
- Welcome to the Club (1971) .... Hideki Ikada
- Rentadick (1972) .... Japanese
- Soft Beds, Hard Battles (1974) .... A.D.C. to Prince Kyoto (uncredited)
- Eskimo Nell (1975, aka The Ballad of Eskimo Nell) .... Kung Fu Artist
- The Pounds Sterling (1976, TV Episode) .... Alan Nagouchi
- Rock Follies (1 episode, 1976) .... Alan Nagouchi
- Dead Man's Kit (1980, TV Episode) .... Chinese laundry man
- Armchair Thriller (1 episode, 1980) .... Chinese laundry man
- Alicja (1982, aka Alice) .... Duchess (final film role)
The Independent Obituary https://www.independent.co.uk/news/obituaries/obituary-david-toguri-1287171.html