Torn in 2008
26 May 1953 |
Amityville, New York, United States
|Genres||Jazz, jazz fusion|
Torn has contributed to recordings by artists including David Bowie, k.d. lang, John Legend, Madonna, Tori Amos, Bill Bruford, Tony Levin, Mick Karn, David Sylvian, Chocolate Genius, Michael Shrieve, Steve Roach, Patrick O'Hearn, Andy Rinehart, Matt Chamberlain, Meshell Ndegeocello and Don Cherry.
In addition to his composition work, Torn's recording have been featured in a number of films, including Friday Night Lights, Velvet Goldmine, Adaptation, The Big Lebowski, The Departed, Fur, The Hoax, Kalifornia, Traffic, Reversal of Fortune, Tibet, and Three Kings. He studied with Leonard Bernstein (within the "Music for Young Composers" series), as well as with guitarists John Abercrombie, Pat Martino, Paul Weiss and Arthur Basile. Torn works out of his personal studios, known as Cell Labs; occasionally, he uses the pseudonym "splattercell."
Torn was born in Amityville, New York, he is married to Linda B. Brecht-Torn (b. 1952), is the son of Lawrence J. Torn (b. 1926) and Rhoda G. Torn (1927-2010), the father of electronic musician Elijah B. Torn (b.1979) and Cody M. Torn (b. 1983). He is the brother of Marsha Torn and Linda Torn, and he is a cousin of Rip Torn (b. 1931), Angelica Torn (b. 1964), Geraldine Page, Sissy Spacek and Ina Garten, AKA The Barefoot Contessa. Torn began his career with the Ithaca-based jam band Zobo Funn Band in the 1970s, and rose to prominence as a member of The Everyman Band and Jan Garbarek's quartet in the mid-1980s. He has recorded six albums as a leader for the ECM, Windham Hill, CMP, and 75 Ark record labels. He has also recorded a series of CD-ROMs with looping and other ambient music and "integrated noise" materials that can be used as samples by other artists.
In 1992, Torn was diagnosed with an acoustic neuroma; in his case, a life-threatening form of brain tumor. The surgery that followed left him deaf in the right ear, but didn't rob him of the ability to compose, record and play. Torn even mixes many widely available recordings himself, although according to him this requires sitting sideways to the studio speakers and "visualising the stereo aspects of sound" in his head rather than experimenting with them by ear.
In 2007, Torn released Prezens, a full-band project with Tim Berne that Jazzwise described as “a vibrating collage full of shimmering sonic shapes, a dark, urban electronic soundscape – a potent mix of jazz, free-form rock and technology that is both demanding and rewarding.” 
In 2013, Kaivax, a community manager for Blizzard Entertainment, announced that Torn worked on the StarCraft II: Heart of the Swarm soundtrack, "adding burning leads and strange textures to the Zerg palette on several tracks."
In January 2013, Torn delivered a solo guitar performance and talk at TEDx Caltech 2013: The Brain. The presentation focused on his brain tumor diagnosis and subsequent recovery. A video of the event is available on the TEDx Caltech website.
Instruments and Effects
As a session artist, composer, and producer, David torn has experimented with many effects boxes, amplifiers, and instruments, and has taken the time to actively talk with amplifier designers and pedal builders about their craft. In an interview with PremierGuitar following the release of his solo album "Only Sky," David shared an extensive list of the Instruments and effects he uses. He currently plays a Ronin Mirari guitar with Foilbucker pickups and also lists a large number of amplifiers such as a Fryette Aether amplifier, and many guitar effects pedals including the TC Electronic Classic TC XII Phaser, Catalinbread Antichthon, DigiTech Whammy DT, and the Neunaber Stereo Wet Reverb.
- Only Sky (2015)
- Chute EP (2010)
- Prezens (2007)
- splattercell: OAH (2001)
- splattercell: AH (2001)
- splattercell: Textures for Electronica and Film Music (2000)
- GTR OBLQ Vernon Reid, Elliott Sharp, David Torn (1998)
- What Means Solid, Traveller? (1996)
- Tripping : Over : God (CMP, 1995)
- Earthbeat (1995) — with Bebo Baldan
- Polytown Karn, Bozzio, Torn (1994)
- Door X (1990)
- Cloud About Mercury (ECM, 1987)
- Best Laid Plans (ECM, 1985)
- tonal textures
- pandora's toolbox
Film and television
- Drumline: A New Beat — (composer) soundtrack (2014)
- That Awkward Moment — (composer) soundtrack (2014)
- Admission — (musician) soundtrack (2013)
- StarCraft II: Heart of the Swarm - (composer) soundtrack (2013)
- The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn — (musician) soundtrack (2012)
- The Lincoln Lawyer — (musician) soundtrack (2011)
- Everything Must Go — (composer) soundtrack (2011)
- Jesus Henry Christ — (composer) soundtrack (2011)
- Glee (TV series) — The Power of Madonna (2010) (writer: "What It Feels Like for a Girl" - uncredited)
- Teenage Paparazzo — (composer) soundtrack (2010)
- Howl — (musician) soundtrack (2010)
- Saint John of Las Vegas — (composer) soundtrack (2009)
- The Wackness — (composer) soundtrack (2008)
- Twilight — (musician) soundtrack (2008)
- Lars and the Real Girl — (composer) soundtrack (2007)
- No Country for Old Men (film) — (musician) soundtrack (2007)
- Anvil! The Story of Anvil — (composer: additional music) soundtrack (2007)
- The Departed — (musician) soundtrack (2006)
- Love Monkey — (composer) soundtrack (2006)
- Believe In Me — (composer) soundtrack (2006)
- Fur (film) — (musician) soundtrack (2006)
- March of the Penguins — (musician) soundtrack (2005)
- Friday Night Lights — (composer) soundtrack (2004)
- The Order — (composer) soundtrack (2003)
- S1M0NE — (musician) soundtrack (2003)
- Adaptation — (musician) soundtrack (2002)
- Blood Omen 2 — (musician) soundtrack (2002)
- A Knight's Tale — (musician) soundtrack (2001)
- Heist_(film) — (musician) soundtrack (2001)
- Traffic (2000 film) — (musician) soundtrack (2000)
- Three Kings (1999 film) — (musician) soundtrack (1999)
- Velvet Goldmine — (musician) soundtrack (1998)
- The Big Lebowski — (musician) soundtrack (1998)
- Love is the Devil — (musician) soundtrack (1998)
- Smoke Signals (film) — (musician) soundtrack (1998)
- A Dangerous Woman (1993 film) — (musician) soundtrack (1998)
- Snake_Eyes_(film) — (musician) soundtrack (1998)
- Fear (1996 film) — (musician) soundtrack (1996)
- Airheads — (musician) soundtrack (1994)
- Kalifornia — (musician) soundtrack (1993)
- You've Been Watching Me, Tim Berne (ECM, 2015) (producer)
- Brand New Day, Donna Lewis (Palmetto Records, 2015) (producer)
- Shadow Man, Tim Berne (ECM, 2013) (producer)
- The Next Day, David Bowie (Iso, 2013)
- Levin / Torn / White, Levin Torn White (2011)
- In the Pink (album), Donna Lewis (2008)
- Playground, Manu Katché (2007)
- Once Again (John Legend album), John Legend (Epic, 2006)
- Legs to Make Us Longer, Kaki King (Epic, 2004)
- Souls Saved Hear, Big Satan (2004)
- Jeff, Jeff Beck (Epic, 2003)
- Reality, David Bowie (Iso, 2003)
- Scarlet's Walk, Tori Amos (2002)
- Science Friction, Tim Berne (2002)
- The Sevens, Tim Berne (2002)
- Heathen, David Bowie (Iso, 2002)
- Oil Tan Bow, Douglas September (2001)
- Life on a String, Laurie Anderson (Nonesuch, 2001)
- Music (Madonna album), Madonna (entertainer) (2000)
- B.L.U.E. Nights, Bruford Levin Upper Extremities (2000)
- Waters of Eden, Tony Levin (Narada, 2000)
- Bruford Levin Upper Extremities (Discipline Global Mobile, 1998)
- Seven Veils, Robert Rich (Hearts of Space, 1998)
- Drag (k.d. lang album), k.d. lang (1997)
- Jason's Chord, Andy Rinehart (1995)
- 3 Pound Universe, Wes Martin (1995)
- Building the Colossus, Happy Rhodes (Aural Gratification, 1994)
- The Snake Music, Nauseef & Tadic (CMP, 1994)
- Lonely Universe, with Michael White, Michel Lambert and Mick Karn (CMP, 1991)
- Mark Isham, Mark Isham (Gold Rush, 1990)
- Castalia, Mark Isham (Virgin Record America 1988)
- Secrets of the Beehive, David Sylvian (Virgin, 1987)
- Without Warning, Everyman Band, Everyman Band (ECM, 1985)
- It's OK to Listen to the Gray Voice, Jan Garbarek (ECM, 1985)
- Everyman Band, Everyman Band (1982)
- "david torn official site". Davidtorn.net. Retrieved 2014-08-09.
- "David Torn, Jazz Events".
- "David Torn - Fate is not completely decided". Innerviews. Retrieved 2014-08-09.
- "David Torn: ECM Records release celebration".
- "David Torn | tedxcaltech.com". Tedxcaltech.caltech.edu. 2013-01-18. Retrieved 2014-08-09.
- "David Bowie's Guitarist Talks 'The Next Day' Album: 'I've Been Under A Gag Order For Six Months'". Huffingtonpost.co.uk. Retrieved 2014-08-09.
- 04, Jason Shadrick June; 2015. "David Torn: Alone at Last". Retrieved 2016-08-18.
- "David Torn - Filmography - Movies & TV - NYTimes.com". Movies.nytimes.com. 2007-01-18. Retrieved 2014-08-09.
- "David Torn". LinkedIn.
- "That Awkward Moment (2014)". IMDb.com. Retrieved 2014-08-09.
- "No Country For Old Men". Carter Burwell. Retrieved 2014-08-09.
- "David Torn | Credits". AllMusic. 1953-05-26. Retrieved 2014-08-09.
- "Velvet Goldmine". Carter Burwell. Retrieved 2014-08-09.
- "The Big Lebowski (1998)". IMDb.com. Retrieved 2014-08-09.
-  Archived December 12, 2006, at the Wayback Machine.
- "Andy Rinehart - Isn't being wrong right?". Innerviews. Retrieved 2014-08-09.
-  Archived December 12, 2006, at the Wayback Machine.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to David Torn.|
- Official David Torn site
- David Torn interview with Anil Prasad of Innerviews (1990)
- David Torn interview Anil Prasad of Innerviews (1995)
- David Torn interview Anil Prasad of Innerviews (2001)
- David Torn interview Anil Prasad of Innerviews (2012)
- Electronic Musician profile (2001)
- Review of prezens at JazzChicago.net
- Chute EP on iTunes
- David Torn - 1st performance of 2015 tour, solo electric guitar on YouTube