Toscano in 2010
|Member of the Virginia House of Delegates
from the 57th district
|Preceded by||Mitchell Van Yahres|
June 28, 1950 |
Syracuse, New York
|Spouse(s)||Nancy M. Tramontin|
|Alma mater||Colgate University
University of Virginia School of Law
|Committees||Courts of Justice; Rules; Transportation|
David J. Toscano (born June 28, 1950) is an American politician and lawyer. A Democrat, he served on the Charlottesville, Virginia city council 1990–2002 and was mayor 1994–96. In November 2005 he was elected to the Virginia House of Delegates, replacing Mitchell Van Yahres. He currently represents[update] the 57th district, made up of the city of Charlottesville and part of Albemarle County. In November 2011, Toscano was elected House Minority Leader.
David Toscano first won the Democratic nomination for the District 57 House of Delegates seat in 2005 with just 2,242 votes (out of 4,152 total). In 2017, Ross Mittiga announced his candidacy to challenge Toscano in the Democratic primary election--the first and only primary challenger in 12 years.
In 2011, Toscano was elected Minority leader in the House of Delegates.
According to the Virginia Public Access Project (VPAP), David Toscano's top donors are:
|Barbara J Fried (major land developer, bank chairman)||$70,500|
|Ronald D. Abramson (corporate lawyer)||$64,500|
|Roberta B Williamson||$55,500|
|VA Auto Dealers Association||$48,256|
|Christopher Mark Little (publishing executive)||$38,000|
|VA Trial Lawyers Association (lobbying organization)||$38,000|
|Dominion Energy (controversial utility corporation[better source needed])||$36,938|
|James E Ukrop (venture capitalist, supermarket CEO, and bank chairman)||$31,500|
|Boyd Calvin Tinsley||$30,952|
|John O Wynne (major telecom lobbyist)||$30,000|
|VA Cable Telecom Association (lobbying organization representing Comcast, Cox, TimeWarner, and others)||$28,500|
|Va Bankers Association (lobbying group, representing major banks and financial interests, pursuing deregulation of the banking industry)||$28,102|
|Va Association of Realtors||$25,405|
Over David Toscano's tenure in the House of Delegates, he has received hundreds of thousands of dollars from special interests, including a $1,719 dinner from the utility company Dominion Power.
- Virginia House of Delegates bio, 2009
- "About David". Virginia House of Delegates; David Toscano; Delegate for the 57th District. Archived from the original on 2009-06-10. Retrieved 2009-01-22.
- "Toscano Elected New House Minority Leader". davidtoscano.com. Retrieved 28 December 2012.
- Dominion Energy#Controversies
- "Virginia House of Delegates 2009; Delegate David J. Toscano". Virginia House of Delegates. Archived from the original on 2009-02-16. Retrieved 2009-01-22.
- "Virginia House of Delegates; David Toscano; Delegate for the 57th District". Retrieved 2009-01-22. (constituent/campaign website)
- "David J Toscano". Virginia Public Access Project.
- "Delegate David Toscano (D-Charlottesville)". Richmond Sunlight.
- "Virginia State Board of Elections; Election Information; Election Results". Archived from the original on 2010-06-17.
|This article about a member of the Virginia House of Delegates is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article about a mayor in Virginia is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|