December 13, 1957|
Rochester, New York, U.S.
|Genres||Jazz, pop, rock, experimental|
|Associated acts||The Lounge Lizards, Spanish Fly|
David Tronzo (born 1957) is an American guitarist, best known for his innovation of pairing the techniques of electric slide guitar with the genres of bebop, modern jazz, rock, downtown music, and experimental music. He has recorded with former David Bowie guitarist Reeves Gabrels, Wayne Horvitz David Sanborn, and The Lounge Lizards.
David Tronzo was born in 1957 in Rochester, New York. He was drawn to music at age eleven and decided on guitar by age thirteen and taught himself. By age fifteen he was playing gigs. "I was playing five nights a week, though I really just had three good notes and five good chords." He credits rock music as an early influence.
He lived in New York City from 1979 to 2002. As Visiting Artist at Berlin's Hochschule der Künste (HdK), his technique on the slide guitar was documented in two doctoral theses in Germany, in 1995 and 2001. He has also been an Artist in Residence at the Haystack Mountain School of Crafts in Maine.
He tours extensively throughout the United States and Europe.
Tronzo has been an Associate Professor at the Berklee College of Music since 2003. Among his more known students is guitarist Dani Rabin of Marbin. He also teaches private lessons, along with masters classes and workshops when he tours.
- with the Tronzo Trio
- 1994 Roots
- 1996 Yo! Hey!
- with David Tronzo and Reeves Gabrels
- 1995 Night in Amnesia
- with Tronzo, Granelli and Epstein
- 1999 crunch
- with Giacomo Merega, David Tronzo, and Noah Kaplan
- 2008 The Light and Other Things
Awards and honours
|Year||Award / Recognition|
- Pareles, Jon (16 February 1992). "Review/Jazz; David Tronzo And Guitar". The New York Times.
- Donohue-Green, Laurence. "Open Ears". All About Jazz. Archived from the original on July 9, 2008.
- "David R. Tronzo". New Yorker. August 1994.
- "Night in Amnesia: David Tronzo & Reeves Gabrels". Concord Music Group. 1995.[permanent dead link]
- Roussel, Patrice. "Discography of Wayne Horzitz".
- "Davide Sanborn: "Another Hand"". Elektra Musician. 1991.
- "Queen of All Ears".
- "David Tronzo, Associate Professor". Berklee College of Music.
- Haystack Gateway (PDF), Fall 2007
- "Plot Summary for Talking Guitars (2007)". Internet Movie Database (imdb.com).
- "Tronzo, David (Richard)". Encyclopedia of Jazz Musicians. jazz.com. Archived from the original on 2008-08-21.
- Cornejo, Karla (September 2008). "Review of the album "The Light and Other Things"" (PDF). All About Jazz (77). Archived from the original (PDF) on September 20, 2008.
- DiPietro, Phil (15 March 2008). "Giacomo Merega, David Tronzo, Noah Kaplan: The Light and Other Things (2008)". All About Jazz.