|Born||8 September 1954 (age 66)|
|Alma mater||The University of Chicago|
Massachusetts Institute of Technology
|Known for||Lusztig-Vogan polynomials|
Vogan's conjecture for Dirac cohomology
|Awards||Levi L. Conant Prize (2011)|
|Institutions||Massachusetts Institute of Technology|
|Thesis||Lie algebra cohomology and the representations of semisimple Lie groups (1976)|
|Doctoral advisor||Bertram Kostant|
He received his Ph.D. from M.I.T. in 1976, under the supervision of Bertram Kostant. In his thesis, he introduced the notion of lowest K type in the course of obtaining an algebraic classification of irreducible Harish Chandra modules. He is currently one of the participants in the Atlas of Lie Groups and Representations.
Vogan was elected to the American Academy of Arts and Sciences in 1996. He served as Head of the Department of Mathematics at MIT from 1999 to 2004. In 2012 he became Fellow of the American Mathematical Society. He was president of the AMS in 2013–2014. He was elected to the National Academy of Sciences in 2013. He is currently the Norbert Wiener Chair of Mathematics at MIT.
- Representations of real reductive Lie groups. Birkhäuser, 1981
- Unitary representations of reductive Lie groups. Princeton University Press, 1987 ISBN 0-691-08482-3
- with Paul Sally (ed.): Representation theory and harmonic analysis on semisimple Lie groups. American Mathematical Society, 1989
- with Jeffrey Adams & Dan Barbasch (ed.): The Langlands Classification and Irreducible Characters for Real Reductive Groups. Birkhäuser, 1992
- with Anthony W. Knapp: Cohomological Induction and Unitary Representations. Princeton University Press, 1995 ISBN 0-691-03756-6
- with Joseph A. Wolf and Juan Tirao (ed.): Geometry and representation theory of real and p-adic groups. Birkhäuser, 1998
- with Jeffrey Adams (ed.): Representation theory of Lie groups. American Mathematical Society, 2000
- The Character Table for E8. In: Notices of the American Mathematical Society Nr. 9, 2007 (PDF)
- David Vogan at the Mathematics Genealogy Project
- American Academy of Arts and Sciences Member Directory Archived 2017-12-01 at the Wayback Machine, retrieved 2017-11-20.
- "David Vogan". Mathematics Department Faculty. MIT. Retrieved 2020-02-17.
- List of Fellows of the American Mathematical Society, retrieved 2013-08-29.
- David A. Vogan, Jr. (1954 - ), AMS Presidents: A Timeline
- National Academy of Sciences Member Directory, retrieved 2017-09-01.
- Springer, T. A. (1983). "Review: Representations of real reductive Lie groups, by David A. Vogan, jr" (PDF). Bulletin of the American Mathematical Society. N.S. 8 (2): 365–371. doi:10.1090/s0273-0979-1983-15126-1.
- Knapp, A. W. (1989). "Review: Unitary representations of reductive Lie groups, by David A. Vogan, jr" (PDF). Bulletin of the American Mathematical Society. N.S. 21 (2): 380–384. doi:10.1090/s0273-0979-1989-15872-2.
- Home page for David Vogan