David W. Marsden
|David W. Marsden|
|Member of the Virginia Senate
from the 37th district
January 13, 2010
|Preceded by||Ken Cuccinelli|
|Member of the Virginia House of Delegates
from the 41st district
January 2006 – January 13, 2010
|Preceded by||Jim Dillard|
|Succeeded by||Eileen Filler-Corn|
April 5, 1948 |
|Children||Nathan, Stuart, Connor|
|Alma mater||Randolph-Macon College|
David W. "Dave" Marsden (born April 5, 1948, in Alexandria, Virginia) is an American politician of the Democratic Party. He currently represents the 37th district in the Senate of Virginia which is a portion of Fairfax County. Since 2006 and prior to serving in the State Senate, he served in the Virginia House of Delegates representing the 41st district. Prior to his career in politics he spent 17 years as head of the Fairfax County Juvenile Detention Center until 1999. In 2000 Governor Jim Gilmore appointed him Chief Deputy and then Acting Director of the 2,700-person Virginia Department of Juvenile Justice. He then served for 6 months in the administration of Governor Mark Warner.
On January 12, 2010, Marsden defeated Steve Hunt in a special Senate election to replace Republican Ken Cuccinelli who was elected Attorney General the previous fall. On January 13, 2010, Marsden was sworn in. An additional special election was held March 2, 2010 to replace Marsden in the Virginia House of Delegates. It was won by Democrat Eileen Filler-Corn.
David W. Marsden graduated from W.T. Woodson High School in 1966 and Randolph-Macon College in 1970.
- "Virginia House of Delegates; David W. Marsden". Archived from the original on 2008-03-28. Retrieved 2008-11-14.
- "Senate of Virginia; David W. Marsden". Retrieved 8 December 2016.
- Dave Marsden for Delegate (Constituent/campaign website)
- Dave Marsden for State Senate (Constituent/campaign website)
- "Virginia Public Access Project; David W. Marsden". Retrieved 2008-11-14.
- "Virginia State Board of Elections; Election Information; Election Results". Archived from the original on 2010-06-17. Retrieved 2008-11-14.
- Project Vote Smart - Representative Dave W. 'Dave' Marsden (VA) profile
- Follow the Money - Dave W. Marsden
- 2005 campaign contributions
- Washington Post - Dave W. Marsden local election 2008 profile