David W. Orr
Des Moines, Iowa
|Occupation||Professor, writer, academic, activist|
(B.A; English, 1965),
University of Pennsylvania
David W. Orr (//; born 1944) is the Paul Sears Distinguished Professor of Environmental Studies and Politics at Oberlin College and a James Marsh Professor at the University of Vermont. He is a well known environmentalist and is active in many areas of environmental studies, including environmental education and environmental design. He serves as a trustee for several organizations including the Rocky Mountain Institute and the Aldo Leopold Foundation.
In 1996, he organized the construction of one of the greenest buildings in North America, the Adam Joseph Lewis Center for Environmental Studies at Oberlin College.
He has been awarded a Bioneers Award in 2002, a National Conservation Achievement Award by the National Wildlife Federation in 1993, a Lyndhurst Prize in 1992 awarded by the Lyndhurst Foundation and the Benton Box Award from Clemson University for his work in Environmental Education (1995).
- Dangerous Years: Climate Change, the Long Emergency, and the Way Forward Publisher: Yale University Press (November 22, 2016) ISBN 9780300222814
- Hope Is an Imperative: The Essential David Orr Publisher: Island Press (December 1, 2011) ISBN 1-59726-700-7
- Down to the Wire: Confronting Climate Collapse Publisher: Oxford University Press (September 2009) ISBN 0-19-539353-8
- Design on the Edge: The Making of a High-Performance Building (Cooperative Information System) Publisher: The MIT Press (April 30, 2008) ISBN 0-262-65112-2
- Ecological Literacy: Educating Our Children for a Sustainable World (The Bioneers Series). Publisher: Sierra Club Books; (October 1, 2005) ISBN 1-57805-153-3
- The Nature of Design: Ecology, Culture, and Human Intention. Publisher: Oxford University Press, USA; (October 14, 2004) ISBN 0-19-517368-6
- Earth in Mind: On Education, Environment, and the Human Prospect. Publisher: Island Press; (July 30, 2004) ISBN 1-55963-495-2
- The Last Refuge: Patriotism, Politics, and the Environment in an Age of Terror. Publisher: Island Press; (March 15, 2004) ISBN 1-55963-528-2
- Ecological Literacy: Education and the Transition to a Postmodern World (Suny Series in Constructive Postmodern Thought). Publisher: State University of New York Press (January 1992) ISBN 0-7914-0874-4
- David W. Orr (2014). Retrieved November 16, 2014.
- Adam Joseph Lewis Center for Environmental Studies. Retrieved February 14, 2008.
- Ancestry and Influence: A Portrait of David Orr. Retrieved April 26, 2010.