|Born||1938 (age 79–80)|
Rochester, New York, US
|Residence||New York City, US|
|Alma mater||University of Virginia|
|Net worth||US$2.1 billion (August 2018)|
David Walentas (born 1938) is an American billionaire real estate developer.
Walentas was born to a Jewish family in Rochester, New York. When he was five, his postal worker father suffered a stroke in his 30s and was left paralyzed. His mother had to work two jobs, and David and his older brother Peter went to live on nearby farms, "milking cows and shoveling shit," as "an indentured orphan." He eventually went to the University of Virginia and received a bachelor's degree in mechanical engineering.
As of August 2018, he had a net worth of US$2.1 billion.
Walentas is married with two children and lives in New York City. He is "a passionate polo player". His wife Jane (nee Zimmerman) is an artist. His son Jed Walentas is CEO of Two Trees.
- CUNY TV: "BuildingNY: David Walentas" February 9, 2011
- "David Walentas". Forbes. Retrieved 2018-08-08.
- New York Magazine: "The Flying Walentases - DUMBO dynasty devours Domino, extends Brooklyn domination" By Gabriel Sherman June 17, 2014 |"They’re just stupid, insulated people,” David says when I ask him about the carousel controversy. “The truth is that the Old Guard up the Heights are racists and anti-Semites, if you really want to know. They don’t want anything to happen to disturb their little community."
- Marcia Greenwood (October 14, 2014). "David Walentas: From nowhere to billionaire". Democratandchronicle.com. Retrieved October 8, 2015.
- Quartz: "Developers have figured out the secret sauce for gentrifying neighborhoods" by Sonali Kohli June 21, 2015
- Sun Sentinel: "Richard M. Zimmerman, 57, Longtime South Florida Banker" By OSWALDO ZAVALA June 16, 1998
- Philadelphia Business Journal: "Moore College of Art & Design gets $1M gift" April 11, 2008
- YJP Mentors: "Jed Walentas" retrieved June 14, 2016