David Walker (bishop of Manchester)
|Bishop of Manchester|
|Church||Church of England|
|Diocese||Diocese of Manchester|
|Other posts||Bishop of Dudley (2000–2013; area bishop until 2002)|
by David Lunn
by George Carey
|Born||30 May 1957|
Susan (m. 1980)
|Alma mater||King's College, Cambridge|
David Stuart Walker TSSF (born 30 May 1957) is a British Anglican bishop. Since 2013, he has been the Bishop of Manchester. He had previously been the Bishop of Dudley, a suffragan bishop in the Diocese of Worcester, from 2000 to 2013.
Walker was born on 30 May 1957. He was educated at Manchester Grammar School, then an all-boys direct grant grammar school in Manchester. He competed in the International Mathematical Olympiad in 1975. He studied at King's College, Cambridge. He trained for ministry at Queen's College, Edgbaston.
Walker was ordained in the Church of England: made a deacon at Petertide 1983 (3 July) and ordained a priest the Petertide following (1 July 1984), both times by David Lunn, Bishop of Sheffield, at Sheffield Cathedral. His career began with a curacy at St Mary Handsworth, after which he was Team Vicar at Maltby, then Bramley before ordination to the episcopate.
Walker was consecrated as a bishop on 30 November 2000 by George Carey, Archbishop of Canterbury, at St Paul's Cathedral. During his time as Bishop of Dudley, Walker was Acting Bishop of Worcester (as the sole suffragan of the diocese) during the 2007 interregnum between the retirement of Peter Selby and confirmation of John Inge.
His nomination to be the next Bishop of Manchester was announced on 5 June 2013; his canonical election to the See was confirmed on 7 October 2013; and he was enthroned at Manchester Cathedral on 30 November 2013. He was awarded a doctorate in 2014 after research, at Warwick University, on how people belong to their churches, particularly in rural Anglicanism.
Walker is keen hill walker. He married Susan in 1980 and together they have two children; he ordained her deacon at Manchester Cathedral on 1 July 2018, to serve as assistant curate in Prestwich.
- The Reverend David Walker (1983–2000)
- The Right Reverend David Walker (2000–2014)
- The Right Reverend Doctor David Walker (2014–present)
- GS 1445: Report of the Dioceses Commission, Diocese of Worcester (Accessed 23 April 2014)
- "David Stuart Walker". Crockford's Clerical Directory (online ed.). Church House Publishing. Retrieved 22 January 2016.
- "David Walker's results". International Mathematical Olympiad.
- Walker, David Stuart. ukwhoswho.com. Who's Who. 2017 (November 2016 online ed.). A & C Black, an imprint of Bloomsbury Publishing plc. Retrieved 23 June 2017.
- "Ordinations (Archived; subscription only)". Church Times (#6282). 8 July 1983. p. 15. ISSN 0009-658X. Retrieved 23 June 2017. (Subscription required (help)).
- "Petertide ordinations (Archived; subscription only)". Church Times (#6334). 6 July 1984. p. 4. ISSN 0009-658X. Retrieved 23 June 2017. (Subscription required (help)).
- Church details
- Diocese of Worcester — New Bishop of Dudley announced (Archived at archive.org, 9 December 2000; accessed 23 June 2017)
- Diocese of Worcester — Diocese welcomes new Bishop of Dudley (Archived at archive.org, 8 March 2001; accessed 23 June 2017)
- Press release: Diocese of Manchester. Prime Minister's Office, 10 Downing Street.
- Diocese of Worcester – David becoming Bishop of Manchester: key dates (Archived 7 December 2013; accessed 22 December 2015)
- Bishop David Walker enthroned as Bishop of Manchester. BBC News.
- "Staff and trustees". Church Urban Fund. Retrieved 1 November 2015.
- Debrett's People of Today London, 2008 Debrett's, ISBN 978-1-870520-95-9
|Church of England titles|
| Bishop of Dudley
| Bishop of Manchester