David Watkins (designer)
David Watkins is a British artist who has designed the medals for the London 2012 Olympics. Watkins was also the special effects maker for the film 2001: A Space Odyssey. He is a graduate of the University of Reading (1963 Fine Arts) and a Royal Designer for Industry.
The Wolverhampton born designer has produced work for the Metropolitan Museum in New York and the National Museum of Modern Art in Tokyo. In 2010 a retrospective exhibition of his work was held at the Victoria & Albert Museum, London, titled Artist in Jewellery, a Retrospective View (1972-2010).
- David Watkins encounters. Barcelona: Sd-edicions-Hipòtesi joies, 2004. (With Barbara Cartlidge & Mònica Gaspar) ISBN 84-607-9243-9
- London 2012: Olympic medals go into production in Wales. BBC News, 27 October 2011. Retrieved 27 October 2011.
- London 2012 Olympics: medal designs unveiled. The Telegraph, 27 October 2011. Retrieved 27 October 2011. Archive here.
- Wolverhampton designer wins contract for Olympic medals. Express & Star, 28 July 2011. Retrieved 27 October 2011.
- Artist in Jewellery by David Watkins. Dezeen Magazine, 22 February 2010. Retrieved 28 October 2011. Archived here.
- Chadour-Sampson, Beatriz. David Watkins, Artist in Jewellery. Stuttgart: Arnoldsche Art Publishers, 2008. ISBN 978-3-925369-96-4
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to David Watkins (designer).|
|This biographical article about a graphic designer is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|