David Wenham (theologian)
||This biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (September 2009) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
David Wenham was born in 1945 (son of theologian John Wenham) and studied theology at Cambridge University before undertaking doctoral research (for his PhD) under F. F. Bruce. After becoming the Theological Students' Secretary with the UCCF he taught at Union Biblical Seminary in India before returning to become the Director of Tyndale House (Cambridge)'s Gospels Research Project. Whilst in Cambridge he completed part-time ordination training at Ridley Hall, Cambridge, before moving to the staff of Wycliffe Hall in the University of Oxford. He was the tutor in New Testament at Wycliffe Hall from 1983 to 2007 and served under four different principals. He was dean and vice principal for several years as well as assisting with the ministry in the parish of Cumnor. In 2007 David was appointed as Senior Tutor in New Testament at Trinity College, Bristol (where his brother Gordon Wenham also lectures on a part-time basis).
He is particularly interested in questions to do with the origins and historical reliability of the gospels. He is involved in helping people to understand the first century context of Jesus and the early church, and to get students to be intelligently and responsibly excited about the New Testament (and equipped to teach it to others). He has written many publications including "The Parables of Jesus" (IVP), a guide to the teaching of Jesus and his most recent book "Paul and Jesus: the true story" (SPCK/Eerdmans) an introduction to Paul, looking at questions of history and theology in the book of Acts, Paul's letters and the gospels.
David is married to Clare and they have two adult sons.
- Gospel Perspectives. Continuum International Publishing Group, 1984.
- The Parables of Jesus. Downers Grove, IL: IVP, 1989.
- Paul: Follower of Jesus or Founder of Christianity?. Cambridge: Eerdmans, 1995.
- D. Wenham and S. Walton. Exploring the New Testament (2 Volumes). London: SPCK: 2001.
- Paul and Jesus: The True Story. London: SPCK, 2002.
- Did Paul Get Jesus Right? The Gospel According to Paul. Oxford: Lion, 2010.
- "David Wenham MA PhD Vice-Principal Tutor in New Testament". Trinity College Bristol. Retrieved 2 June 2011.
|This biography of a British theology academic is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|