|David Lawrence Westin|
David Westin at the 2012 Texas Book Festival.
July 29, 1952 |
|Alma mater||University of Michigan (J.D.)|
|Spouse(s)||Martha Johnson (divorced)
Victoria Peters (divorced)
Sherrie Rollins Westin
David Westin born July 29, 1952 to Lawrence Rae Westin and Mary Louise (Holman) Westin, is the Principal of Witherbee Holdings, LLC, advising and investing in media companies. He was the President and CEO of NewsRight from 2011 to 2012. Before that, he was president of ABC News (from March 6, 1997 through December 3, 2010), responsible for all aspects of ABC News’ television broadcasts, including World News with Diane Sawyer, Nightline, Good Morning America, 20/20, Primetime, This Week with Christiane Amanpour, and World News Now, and ABC News Radio. During his tenure, ABC News received eleven George Foster Peabody Awards, 13 Alfred I DuPont Awards, four George Polk Awards, more than 40 News and Documentary Emmys, and more than 40 Edward R. Murrow Awards. On September 6, 2010, Westin announced he would retire from ABC, but would remain until the end of the year to give the company time to find a replacement. One news report said Westin was forced out by Disney CEO Robert Iger, but others reported that he had decided to pursue other interests—with one saying that he "got to announce his departure on his own terms."
Westin graduated from Pioneer High School in Ann Arbor, Michigan, in 1970. He received a BA degree with honors and distinction from the University of Michigan in Ann Arbor, and a JD degree, summa cum laude, from the University of Michigan Law School in 1977. After graduation, he served as a law clerk to J. Edward Lumbard of the United States Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit, and later clerked for Lewis F. Powell of the Supreme Court of the United States.
Westin has written the book Exit Interview, about his experiences as president of ABC News. It was released in May 2012.
Westin has been married three times. His first wife was Martha Johnson; they had two daughters, Victoria and Elizabeth. His second wife was veterinarian Victoria Peters; they had one son, Matthew. Westin is currently married to Sherrie Rollins Westin. She has an adopted daughter, Lily, from a previous marriage to political strategist Ed Rollins. They have a son, David Palmer from their union. He is also a grandfather of three.
- Who Pushed ABC News' Chief? by Peter Lauria, The Daily Beast, September 7, 2010 http://www.thedailybeast.com/blogs-and-stories/2010-09-07/david-westin-resignation-who-pushed-out-abc-news-chief/
- The New Yorker: "Bad News" BY JANE MAYER August 14, 2000
- Washington Post: "ABC'S MAN IN THE NEWS" By Lloyd Grove March 21, 1997
- Turner Classic Movies: "David Westin" retrieved May 24, 2016
- Tuscaloosa News: "David Westin proposes to ABC Executive" June 16, 1998
- Washington Post: "THE RELIABLE SOURCE" by By Ann Gerhart and Annie Groer June 16, 1998
- Milwaukee Journal Sentinel: "Dr. William Hilmer Peters" November 24, 2012
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to David Westin.|