David Wheeler (footballer)
|Full name||David John Wheeler|
|Date of birth||4 October 1990|
|Place of birth||Brighton, England|
|Height||5 ft 11 in (1.80 m)|
|Playing position||Right winger|
|Queens Park Rangers|
|2000–2006||Brighton & Hove Albion|
|2017–||Queens Park Rangers||7||(1)|
|2008–2009||England U18 Schoolboys||8||(0)|
|* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only and correct as of 21 November 2017.
Wheeler started his career at Lewes in 2007–08, making his debut as a substitute against Brighton on 5 March 2008 in the Sussex Senior Cup semi-final and his first start in the Conference Premier 2008–09 season against Torquay United. He scored his first senior goal against Altrincham, scored 8 times the following season and 4 in his final season. The first full season was in the Conference Premier, the next two seasons in Conference South.
On 26 June 2011, due to travel commitments associated with his studies at Brunel University, Wheeler left Lewes and signed with Staines Town of the Conference South as it was the closest club to the campus. He made his Staines debut on 13 August, and scored his first goals for the club on the 29th, in a 2–1 home win against Boreham Wood. He finished the season with 9 goals, and was awarded both the Players Player and Club Player of the year awards. The following season, Wheeler scored a career-best 14 goals, which helped the club to avoid relegation, and repeated his achievements of the previous season by picking up both awards in the end of season honours. Wheeler was also captain of the team for the majority of his second season at the club.
On 2 August 2013, Wheeler signed a deal with Exeter City of Football League Two, after impressing on a trial. He made his professional debut a day later, in a 2–1 home win against Bristol Rovers. On 30 November 2013 Wheeler scored his first professional goal in a 2–2 draw against Bury. In the 2016/17 season, Wheeler played a pivotal role in helping Exeter City reach a League Two play-off final, by scoring 13 league goals and 20 goals in all competitions for City.
Queens Park Rangers
On 31 August 2017, Wheeler signed for Queens Park Rangers for an undisclosed fee on a three year deal. Wheeler scored his first QPR goal in his first start for the club, opening the scoring in a 3–2 defeat to Middlesbrough.
- As of match played 21 November 2017
|Club||Season||League||FA Cup||League Cup||Other[a]||Total|
|Staines Town||2011–12||Conference South||29||9||—||—||—||29||9|
|Exeter City||2013–14||League Two||35||3||1||0||1||0||1||0||38||3|
|Queens Park Rangers||2017–18||Championship||7||1||0||0||0||0||0||0||7||1|
- "David Wheeler". Barry Hugman's Footballers. Retrieved 16 October 2016.
- Wheeler leaves Lewes; The Argus, 26 June 2011
- Staines Town vs. Boreham Wood 2–1; Global Sports Media, 29 August 2011
- Wheeler deal done; Exeter City, 2 August 2013
- Exeter 2–1 Bristol Rovers; BBC Sport, 3 August 2013
- "Games played by David Wheeler in 2016/2017". Soccerbase. Centurycomm. Retrieved 22 January 2017.
- "David Wheeler joins QPR". www.qpr.co.uk. 31 August 2017.
- "David Wheeler scoops the plaudits with goal in first start for QPR". Devon Live. 16 September 2017.
- ESFA Under 18 Squad 2008–2009; ESFA.co.uk, 13 November 2010
- David Wheeler at Soccerway
- "Games played by David Wheeler in 2008/2009". Soccerbase. Centurycomm. Retrieved 13 August 2015.
- "Games played by David Wheeler in 2013/2014". Soccerbase. Centurycomm. Retrieved 13 August 2015.
- "Games played by David Wheeler in 2014/2015". Soccerbase. Centurycomm. Retrieved 8 November 2014.
- "Games played by David Wheeler in 2015/2016". Soccerbase. Centurycomm. Retrieved 22 January 2017.
- "Games played by David Wheeler in 2017/2018". Soccerbase. Centurycomm. Retrieved 16 September 2017.