David Wilkinson (theologian)
|Born||16 May 1963|
|Occupation||Theological college principal|
|Title||Principal of St John's College, Durham|
|Alma mater||University of Cambridge|
|Discipline||Astrophysics and theology|
|Institutions||University of Liverpool |
University of Durham
David Adam Wilkinson, FRAS (born 16 May 1963) is a British Methodist minister, theologian, astrophysicist and academic. He is the current Principal of St John's College, Durham, and a professor in the Department of Theology and Religion at Durham University. He is the author of several books on the relationship between science and religion, and a regular contributor to Thought for the Day on BBC Radio 4. He has a PhD in astrophysics and is a Fellow of the Royal Astronomical Society.
Wilkinson began his career as a scientist. He studied theology at Fitzwilliam College, Cambridge as part of his training as a Methodist minister. After ordination, he worked at Elm Hall Drive Methodist Church in Liverpool and acted as chaplain at the University of Liverpool.
- ... (1993). God, the big bang, and Stephen Hawking. Tunbridge Wells, England: Monarch. ISBN 9781854242075.
- ... (1997). Alone in the universe?: aliens, the X-files & God. Downers Grove, IL: InterVarsity Press. ISBN 9780830819386.
- with Frost, Rob (1999). A new start?: hopes and dreams for the new millennium. London: Hodder & Stoughton. ISBN 9780340713891.
- ... (2002). The message of creation: encountering the Lord of the universe. Downers Grove, IL: InterVarsity Press. ISBN 9780830824052.
- with Barton, Stephen (2009). Reading Genesis after Darwin. Oxford, UK: Oxford University Press. ISBN 9780195383362.
- ... (2010). Christian eschatology and the physical universe. London: T & T Clark. ISBN 9780567045461.
- ... (2013). Science, religion, and the search for extraterrestrial intelligence. Oxford, UK: Oxford University Press. ISBN 978-0-1996-8020-7.
- ... (2015). When I pray what does God do. Oxford, UK: Monarch. ISBN 978-0-8572-1604-5.
- ... (2002). "The Art of Apologetics in the 21st Century". Anvil. 19: 5–17.
- ... (2008). "(2008). Dawkins, the Simpsons and God: Public Theology and Pop Culture". Epworth Review. 35 (4): 6–20.
- ... (2009). "The Work of a Friend: Theology in the Light of the Origin of Species". Epworth Review. 36 (2): 45–65.
- ... (2009). "Christian Apologetics in a Post-Christian Culture". Catalyst. 35 (2): 1–3.
- "Birthday's today". The Telegraph. 16 May 2013. Retrieved 15 May 2014.
the Rev Prof David Wilkinson, Principal of St John's College, University of Durham, 50
- "St John's College". St John's College. Retrieved 2011-02-16.
- "Theology and Religion Department Staff". Durham University. Retrieved 2011-02-16.
- Tallentire, Mark (16 September 2013). "Is God an alien? Science, religion and the search for extraterrestrial life". Durham Times. Retrieved 15 May 2014.
- "Thought for the Day". BBC. Retrieved 2011-02-16.
- "Engaging with awe". Fitzwilliam College. Archived from the original on 2014-03-02. Retrieved 2014-02-23.
- Profile: Revd Professor David Wilkinson Durham University
|This biography article of a United Kingdom academic is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|