30 June 1991 |
Southend-on-Sea, Essex, England
|Height||1.8 m (5 ft 11 in)|
Recovery Road (2016)
|Awards||Sexiest Male, Inside Soap Awards 2012 & Most Popular Newcomer, NTA 2013|
David Peter S. Witts (born 30 June 1991) is a British actor, best known for his portrayal of Joey Branning in the long-running British television soap opera, EastEnders, in which he appeared from 2012 to 2013.
Witts attended Southend High School for Boys, where he first discovered his passion for acting. For a number of years, he trained with the National Youth Music Theatre and the National Youth Theatre of Great Britain. Following a short period of working as a barman, Witts appeared in numerous theatre productions, including Wild Boyz, The Wizard of Oz and Snow White during 2011 and 2012.
In May 2012, Digital Spy reported that Witts had been cast to play Derek Branning's son, Joey Branning, in EastEnders. Of his arrival to the series, Witts commented, "I am delighted to be joining EastEnders after being a fan for so many years. Joining the Branning family couldn't have come at a better time, especially after the recent British Soap Awards wins." EastEnders' executive producer, Lorraine Newman said, "Joey is a fantastic addition to the Brannings and after an explosive entrance onto the Square, he is set to break a few hearts as he campaigns to bring Derek down."
In October 2013 it was reported that he had decided to leave EastEnders. His final scenes were aired on 26 December 2013.
2014–present: Projects after EastEnders and U.S. success with Recovery Road
In March 2015, it was announced that Witts would star mainly on the new American TV Series Recovery Road, starring as Craig (the counsellor), with the series beginning on 25 January 2016 on Freeform. In May 2016, it was announced that the show had been cancelled by Freeform.
Witts won the award for 'Most Popular Newcomer' for his portrayal of Joey at the National Television Awards 2013. He also won 'Sexiest Male' at the Inside Soap Awards. and was nominated again for 'Sexiest Male' at the British Soap Awards in 2013.
|2012–2013||EastEnders||Joey Branning||Series regular|
|2016||Recovery Road||Craig||Series regular|
- David Witts - IMDb
- BBC One - EastEnders - Joey Branning
- Thomas, Emma (27 January 2013). "Eastenders star David Witts thanks former Southend High School for Boys teacher". Echo. Newsquest. Retrieved 1 May 2013.
- "NYMT - Where Are They Now?". National Youth Music Theatre. Archived from the original on 1 May 2013. Retrieved 1 May 2013.
- 'EastEnders' casts Derek Branning's son Joey - also there would be a love triangle between joey, his cousin laure branning and lucy beale EastEnders News - Soaps - Digital Spy
- Smith, Lydia (20 October 2013). "EastEnders star David Witts will quit Joey Branning role at Christmas - Mirror Online". Daily Mirror. Trinity Mirror. Retrieved 20 October 2013.
- Greenwood, Carl (8 March 2015). "Ex-Eastender David Witts makes it in Hollywood! Star joins ABC family drama Recovery Road". mirror.co.uk. Retrieved 16 May 2015.
- "National Television Awards 2013: All The Winners Including Ant And Dec, 'Coronation Street's Alan Halsall, Miranda Hart". The Huffington Post UK. AOL UK. 23 January 2013. Retrieved 24 January 2013.