David Wong Louie
|David Wong Louie|
|Born||1954 (age 62–63)|
|Genre||novel, short story|
|Notable works||Pangs of Love
The Barbarians Are Coming
|Notable awards||First Fiction Award from Los Angeles Times and from Ploughshares
John C. Zacharis First Book Award
UCLA's Shirley Collier Prize
Pangs of Love received the 1991 First Fiction Award from the Los Angeles Times and the John C. Zacharis First Book Award from Ploughshares. It was also named a Notable Book by the New York Times and a Voice Literary Supplement Favorite. The Barbarians are Coming won the Shirley Collier Prize.
His short story "Displacement" was included in 100 Years of the Best American Short Stories, Houghton Mifflin Harcourt October 6, 2015
- Pangs of Love: stories. Knopf. 1991. ISBN 978-0-394-58957-2.
- The Barbarians are Coming. G.P. Putnam's Sons. 2000. ISBN 978-0-399-14603-9.
- A Contemporary Asian American Anthology with Marilyn Chin.
- Terrell Dixon, ed. (2002). "Bottles of Beaujolais". City wilds: essays and stories about urban nature. University of Georgia Press. ISBN 978-0-8203-2339-8.
from March 2008:
- Caucasian Partners and Generational Conflicts-David Wong Louie's Pangs of Love By: Wen-ching Ho, EurAmerica: A Journal of European and American Studies, 2004 June; 34 (2): 231–64. (In Chinese)
- 'The Most Outrageous Masquerade': Queering Asian-American Masculinity By: Crystal Parikh, MFS: Modern Fiction Studies, 2002 Winter; 48 (4): 858–98. (journal article)
- Toward a More Worldly World Series: Reading Game Three of the 1998 American League Championship and David Wong Louie's 'Warming Trends' By: Jeff Partridge, American Studies International, 2000 June; 38 (2): 115–25. (journal article)
- Stacey Yukari Hirose (2000). Words Matter: Conversations with Asian American Writers. Honolulu, HI: University of Hawaii Press. p. 189–214.
- Saddle ; Zyzzyva, 1999 Winter; 15 (3): 116–21.
- Chinese/Asian American Men in the 1990s: Displacement, Impersonation, Paternity, and Extinction in David Wong Louie's Pangs of Love By: Sau-ling Cynthia Wong. IN: Okihiro, Alquizola, Rony and Wong, Privileging Positions: The Sites of Asian American Studies. Pullman: Washington State UP; 1995. pp. 181–91
- Cynthia Kadohata and David Wong Louie: The Pangs of a Floating World By: Sheila Sarkar; Hitting Critical Mass: A Journal of Asian American Cultural Criticism, 1994 Winter; 2 (1): 79–97.
- Affirmations: Speaking the Self into Being By: Manini Samarth; Parnassus: Poetry in Review, 1992; 17 (1): 88–101.
- English at UCLA: David Wong Louie (accessed March 2008)