David Wright (politician)
|Member of Parliament |
7 June 2001 – 30 March 2015
|Preceded by||Bruce Grocott|
|Succeeded by||Lucy Allan|
22 December 1966|
Oakengates, Telford, Shropshire, England
|Alma mater||University of Wolverhampton|
David Wright (born 22 December 1966) is a British Labour Party politician who was the Member of Parliament (MP) for Telford from 2001 until 2015. He was an assistant government whip from June 2009 to May 2010.
Early and personal life
Born within his future constituency at Oakengates, Telford, Shropshire, he went to Wrockwardine Wood Comprehensive School on New Road in Telford then New College, Telford. He graduated from Wolverhampton Polytechnic (now Wolverhampton University) with a degree in Humanities. He worked on regeneration in the public Housing Department of Sandwell Metropolitan Borough Council for thirteen years before resigning to stand for election to Parliament.
He married Lesley in 1990.
He is a member of the Chartered Institute of Housing.
Wright was a Town Councillor in Oakengates 1989-2000 and a Wrekin District Councillor from 1989-97. He was elected Member of Parliament (MP) for Telford in the 2001 general election. In June 2009 he became a government whip.
On 15 February 2010 he became involved in a scandal when an entry on his Twitter microblog called Conservative Party members "scum sucking pigs", although he claimed his account had been hacked. He then claimed, despite it being impossible, that his tweets had been edited after being posted.
In 2011, he was a member of the special Select Committee set up to scrutinise the Bill that became the Armed Forces Act 2011.
- "Election 2015, Telford - Meet Your Candidates". Shropshire Star. 30 March 2015. p. 18.General Election 2015 local supplement.
- "VOTE 2001 - Telford". news.bbc.co.uk. Retrieved 17 November 2016.
- "Tories demand answers over 'scum-sucking' Twitter". BBC News. 16 February 2010. Retrieved 16 February 2010.
- "David Wright should apologise quickly so we can move on – but the Tories' faux indignation is equally unedifying - LabourList". 16 February 2010.
- "Select Committee on the Armed Forces Bill". parliament.uk. Retrieved 20 Sep 2013.
- His website
- Profile at the Parliament of the United Kingdom
- Guardian Unlimited Politics - Ask Aristotle: David Wright MP
- TheyWorkForYou.com - David Wright MP
- BBC Politics
|Parliament of the United Kingdom|
| Member of Parliament for Telford
|This article about a Labour Member of the Parliament of the United Kingdom (MP) representing an English constituency is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|