|Alma mater||University of Maryland, College Park|
David Zurawik (born in Milwaukee, Wisconsin) is an American journalist, author, professor, and media critic. He has been the TV and media critic at The Baltimore Sun since 1989 and is an assistant professor of communications and media studies at Goucher College. Before that, Zurawik was a TV critic/columnist at the Dallas Times Herald.
Early life and education
Zurawik worked as a reporter and critic for the Dallas Times Herald (now the Dallas Morning News) before joining The Baltimore Sun in 1989 as its television critic. His syndicated column runs in other newspapers, including the Los Angeles Times. In 2008, he became the lead writer for The Baltimore Sun TV blog, Z on TV. He has written pieces for the American Journalism Review. In 2017, he began writing articles for the Telegraph-Journal.
Zurawik has been a guest on the CNN public affairs talk show Reliable Sources, and has also appeared on Fox News shows such as "Fox & Friends," "The O’Reilly Factor" and "On the Record with Greta Van Susteren."
David Bianculli, a TV critic at the time for National Public Radio’s "Fresh Air" and the New York Daily News, wrote in his review, "(Zurawik's) own thorough and thoroughly entertaining insights about so many TV shows, from 'The Goldbergs' and 'Rhoda' to 'Seinfeld' and 'The Nanny,' make this one of the most important, well-researched and addictively readable television books ever written." Book reviewer Joe Rosenberg wrote in the Baltimore Chronicle, "According to Zurawik, the Jewish heads of pre-cable television at CBS, NBC, and ABC—like the Hollywood moguls of the pre-TV era and the owners of the New York Times and Washington Post—did not want to ‘taint’ their programming with 'Jewishness.'"
In 2016, he took home a first-place Excellence-in-Features award from the Society for Features Journalism in the Blog Portfolio category.
In 2017, he won another Arthur Rowse Award for press criticism, a National Press Club award.
In June 2017, he was given a third-place Arts & Entertainment award by the Society for Features Journalism.
- Sun, Baltimore. "David Zurawik". latimes.com. Retrieved 2017-12-29.
- Jedra, Christina. "Sun columnist David Zurawik wins National Press Club Award". baltimoresun.com. Retrieved 2017-12-29.
- "Tribune Company Biography". Archived from the original on 2015-09-10.
- Zurawik, David. "David Zurawik's television coverage" – via LA Times.
- "Z on TV", The Baltimore Sun[not in citation given]
- Zurawik, David (1997). "Saving CBS News". ajrarchive.org. Retrieved 2017-12-29.
- Zurawik, David; Stoehr, Christina (1993-04-01). "Money changes everything". American Journalism Review. 15 (3).
- Zurawik, David; Stoehr, Christina (1994-11-01). "Eclipsing the nightly news". American Journalism Review. 16 (9).
- Stoehr, Chris; Zurawik, David (1998-05-01). "Rather remarkable". American Journalism Review. 20 (4).
- "David Zurawik". Retrieved 2017-12-29.
- "Reliable Sources", CNN, 2011
- "Media Critic David Zurawik: 'Sickened By' Bill O'Reilly 'Exploiting the Fissures' In Our Society". www.mediaite.com. Retrieved 2017-12-29.
- "Baltimore Sun's David Zurawik: Bannon "weaponizing" Breitbart "goes against everything I believe about journalism"". Media Matters for America. 2017-08-27. Retrieved 2017-12-29.
- "Sunday shows". POLITICO. Retrieved 2017-12-29.[not in citation given]
- "Why journalists are asking 'Is Trump racist?'". WTHI News. Retrieved 2018-01-16.
- "David Zurawik Discusses 'Reckless' Fox & Friends". Retrieved 2017-12-29.
- "David Zurawik Wins National Press Club Award - Goucher College". Goucher College.
- "Zurawik, David | SAGE Publications Inc". us.sagepub.com. Retrieved 2017-12-29.
- Kelman, Ari. The Jews of Prime Time by David Zurawik (book review) “American Jewish History.” American Jewish History, vol. 91, no. 2, 2003, pp. 336–340. JSTOR, JSTOR, www.jstor.org/stable/23887209.
- "UPNE - The Jews of Prime Time: David Zurawik". www.upne.com.
- "US Democracy, Legal System Are Experiencing an Assault from Fascist Elements - BaltimoreChronicle.com". baltimorechronicle.com.
- "Wall Street Journal, Seattle Times win awards in National Press Club journalism contest". National Press Club. 26 June 2015.
- Barker, Jeff. "The Sun wins Newspaper of the year from MDDC".
- Britto, Brittany. "Baltimore Sun's features coverage wins 6 awards from Society for Features Journalism".
- Britto, Brittany. "The Baltimore Sun wins eight awards from the Society for Features Journalism".
- Elkin, Michael (2003-04-17). "GOOD GOLLY, MISS MOLLY! Author makes book on 'The Jews of Prime Time' - and the woman who started it all with a simple 'Yoo-hoo!'". The Jewish Exponent. p. 35.
- McLemee, Scott (2003-06-06). "Hot Type". The Chronicle of Higher Education. 49 (39): A19.
- Bronski, Michael (2003-07-18). "Too Much or Not Enough? Examining Jewishness on the Small Screen". The Forward. p. 8.
- Gertel, Elliot B. (Summer–Fall 2006). "Jews and the Small Screen". Judaism. 54 (3/4): 264–271. ISSN 0022-5762.