David van Zanten
|Full name||David van Zanten|
|Date of birth||8 May 1982|
|Place of birth||Dublin, Ireland|
|Height||5 ft 11 in (1.80 m)|
|Playing position||Right back|
|* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only and correct as of 21:08, 26 February 2016 (UTC).
David van Zanten (born 8 May 1982) is an Irish professional football.
Van Zanten was born in Ireland to a Dutch father and an Irish mother. Despite being born in Ireland, van Zanten has played his entire senior career in Scotland after signing for Celtic in 1999 from Tolka Rovers. After leaving Celtic at the age of 21, van Zanten signed for St Mirren; he made almost 200 appearances for the Paisley side. He subsequently played for Hibernian, Greenock Morton and Hamilton Academical, before returning to St Mirren in 2010. He made over 130 appearances in his second spell with the Buddies, before moving on to Dumbarton and then Airdrieonians.
Hibernian and Morton
On 6 May 2008 it was reported by the Glasgow Evening Times that van Zanten had made a pre-contract agreement to sign for SPL rivals Hibernian in the summer of 2008. Van Zanten struggled for form during his first season with Hibs, and was frequently replaced at right back by Sol Bamba and Darren McCormack, who are more accustomed to playing at centre back. Towards the end of the season, van Zanten admitted that he had been "disappointed with my performances" and went on to say that it was probably the worst time to lose form, as he had just joined a new club. He was released by Hibs on 1 September 2009.
After his release from Hibs, van Zanten (along with another former Hibee Alan Reid) appeared on trial for Greenock Morton against Partick Thistle in November 2009. After the game he was signed on a permanent contract until January 2010.
It was confirmed on 8 January 2010 that van Zanten had signed a contract with SPL side Hamilton Academical. Van Zanten made his début against former club Hibernian in a 5–1 defeat, providing an assist for his team's only goal. After the 2009–10 SPL season, Van Zanten was released from his contract.
Hamilton, St Mirren, Dumbarton & Airdrie
Van Zanten returned to St Mirren in June 2010, becoming Danny Lennon's first signing as Saints manager. He signed a one-year extension to this contract in April 2012. After appearing regularly during the 2012–13 season, van Zanten exercised an option to extend his contract for another year.
On 19 May 2014 it was announced that van Zanten would not be offered a new contract, and would be leaving the club after making 332 appearances and scoring 8 goals in all competitions. On 24 June Van Zanten joined Dumbarton. He left the club in May the following year having made 23 appearances in an injury ravaged season. After leaving Dumbarton, van Zanten signed for Scottish League One side Airdrieonians. After only 12 appearances for the Diamonds, van Zanten left Airdrieonians by mutual consent in February 2016.
- St Mirren
- Scottish Football League First Division (1): 2005–06
- Scottish Challenge Cup (1): 2005–06
- Scottish League Cup (1): 2012–13
- Renfrewshire Cup: 2006, 2007, 2010, 2011, 2012,
- "Van Zanten heads for happy hunting ground". The Scotsman. 8 May 2008.
- "Van Zanten signs new Saints deal". BBC Sport. 17 May 2006.
- St Mirren boss confirmed Van Zanten will join Hibs on a pre-contract, Evening Times, 6 May 2008
- Hibs snatch defender Van Zanten, BBC Sport, 6 May 2008.
- "Split screen action not quite fair". Sunday Herald. 19 April 2009.[permanent dead link]
- Player update Archived 7 September 2009 at the Wayback Machine., hibs.co.uk, 1 September 2009
- "Morton bring in Van Zanten until January". Greenock Telegraph. 10 November 2009. Retrieved 10 November 2009.
- "Van Zanten signs". Hamilton Accies. 8 January 2010. Archived from the original on 11 August 2011. Retrieved 8 January 2010.
- "BBC Sport – Football – Hamilton Accies part with 11 players". BBC News. 12 May 2010. Retrieved 13 May 2010.
- Barnes, John (10 June 2010). "Defender David van Zanten seals second St Mirren spell". BBC Sport. BBC. Retrieved 10 June 2010.
- "David Van Zanten wins new St Mirren contract". BBC Sport. BBC. 10 April 2012. Retrieved 10 April 2012.
- "David van Zanten signs new contract with St Mirren". BBC Sport. BBC. 5 February 2013. Retrieved 5 February 2013.
- "St Mirren: David Van Zanten announces Buddies exit". bbc.co.uk. Retrieved 19 May 2014.
- "David van Zanten – A Saints Career". www.saintmirren.net. Archived from the original on 21 May 2014. Retrieved 20 May 2014.
- "Dumbarton Football Club - SIGNING NEWS: VAN ZANTEN JOINS SONS".
- "Dumbarton Football Club - GILS AND VANZY MOVE ON".
- "Crighton and van Zanten sign". airdriefc.com. Retrieved 14 June 2015.
- "David van Zanten departs". airdriefc.com. 11 February 2016. Retrieved 26 February 2016.