Davidka Square bus bombing
|Jerusalem bus 14A attack|
|Part of the Second Intifada militancy campaign|
|Date||June 11, 2003|
|Deaths||17 civilians (+ 1 bomber)|
|approximately 100 civilians|
|Perpetrators||Hamas claimed responsibility|
Hamas claimed responsibility for the attack.
At about 17:30 pm on Wednesday, June 11, 2003, a Palestinian suicide bomber dressed as an Orthodox Jew, boarded bus 14a at the Mahane Yehuda market bus stop on Jaffa Road. At Davidka Square, the bomber detonated his explosive device, which contained a large quantity of metal shrapnel designed to cause maximum casualties.
Hamas claimed responsibility for the attack and stated that the attack was an act of vengeance for the Israeli assassination attempt on the senior Hamas leader Abdel Aziz al-Rantissi on Tuesday, June 10, 2003. Rantisi survived the assassination attempt during which Israeli helicopters fired missiles at his car.
Shortly after the bus attack, Israel launched a counter-terrorist attack in east Gaza in which Israeli helicopters fired rockets at a moving car carrying among others two seniors of the Hamas military arm. All of the car's six passengers were killed.
- Involved parties
- Palestinian National Authority - Yasser Arafat condemned the attack and urged Arabs and Israelis alike to stop the violence.
- USA – US President George Bush condemned the attack and urged all nations to cut off financial assistance to terrorists and "isolate those who hate so much that they are willing to kill."
- Jerusalem Bus Bomb Kills 17 as Strife Rises; Airstrikes in Gaza Kill 9 Palestinians; Bush Plan Is Tested - published on the Washington Post on June 12, 2003
- "BBC NEWS | Middle East | Suicide blast hits Jerusalem bus". BBC News. London: BBC. 11 June 2003. Retrieved 18 October 2011.
- "Jerusalem bus attack death toll rises to 17 - Haaretz Daily Newspaper | Israel News". haaretz.com. 2011. Retrieved 18 October 2011.
- "Suicide bombing of Egged bus No 14A in Jerusalem -". mfa.gov.il. 2011. Archived from the original on 13 November 2011. Retrieved 18 October 2011.
- Sgt. Tamar Ben-Eliahu
- Alan Beer
- Eugenia Berman
- Elsa Cohen
- Zvi Cohen
- Roi Haim Eliraz
- Alexander Kazaris
- Yaffa Georgia Mualem
- Yaniv Obayed
- Bat-El Ohana
- Anna Orgal
- Zippora Pesahovitch
- Bianca Rivka Shichrur
- Malka Juliet Sultan
- Bertin Tita
- Miriam Levy
- Haile Abraha Hawki
- Preston, Julia (15 April 2006). "Hurt by Hamas, Americans Sue Banks in U.S." New York Times. Retrieved 16 August 2015.
- 16 Killed on Israeli Bus; 7 Die in Gaza
- NewsLibrary.com - newspaper archive, clipping service - newspapers and other news sources
- Israel Hits Gaza after Jerusalem Bombing : NPR
- USATODAY.com - Bush condemns Jerusalem bus bombing