The DavisWiki website on Thursday, December 13, 2007
|Created by||Community of Davis, California|
|Alexa rank||150,146 (April 2014[update])|
Started in June 2004, daviswiki.org is a wiki based in Davis, California about the people, events, universities, bands, places and other things of the city. For example, it includes information about local events, advice for classes to take or not take at UC Davis, locations of the cleanest bathrooms in town, and ways a poor student can best pack a to-go box from the local restaurant buffets. Newcomers or anyone with a question about life in Davis are often asked by "wikivangelists", "Did you check the wiki?", much in the spirit of RTFM.
Size and activity
DavisWiki was at one point the largest City Wiki in the world. Karlsruhe's city wiki Stadtwiki Karlsruhe has since surpassed DavisWiki in total page count, but differences in the wiki software, varying content/page densities, make drawing conclusions from page counts problematic. As of November 2009 DavisWiki has over 14,945 pages, 11134 registered editors, 301 editors who have made over 100 edits, and 35 editors who have made over 1000 edits.
In June 2010, DavisWiki claimed: "On a given day, about 1 in 6 residents visits the site. Over the course of one week, nearly half of the residents. And over a month, we have found that just about every Davisite visits the wiki. ... 1 in 7 residents actually contribute their own knowledge to the wiki."
Based on the above activity, and the interest that local politics have on daviswiki, the Davis Human Relations Commission awarded the daviswiki the Thong Hy Huynh Award for Excellence in Community Involvement.
Neutral point of view?
Davis Wiki includes long discussions on its pages regarding local politics, local elections, development, city policies and similar material. This is a bit counter to many wikis, which strive for a neutral point of view in all articles.[neutrality is disputed] Articles on the Davis Wiki are balanced by consolidating commentary to present an aggregate set of multiple points-of-view, intending to reflect the actual Davis community.
Some of the Davis Wiki team, including co-founders Philip Neustrom and Mike Ivanov, are now working on the LocalWiki project.  The LocalWiki project aims to be an ideal platform for sharing local community information.
- "Daviswiki.org Site Info". Alexa Internet. Retrieved 2014-04-01.
- DavisWiki offers resources to Davis residents, students[permanent dead link]
- Web site has scoop on Davis community, Davis Wiki allows users to add and edit listings on everything from city politics to the best places in town for a date.
- LocalWiki announcement on DavisWiki.org
- City.davis.ca.us Archived 2011-07-21 at the Wayback Machine., Human Relations Commission, minutes, Thursday, April 26, 2007
- UC-Davis: UC-Davis alumnus-funded site holds event.
- Wikispot.org Archived 2010-12-22 at the Wayback Machine., "Who we are"
- Localwiki.org Archived 2010-11-17 at the Wayback Machine.