Davis High School (Utah)
|Davis High School|
325 South Main Street|
Kaysville, Utah 84037
Davis High School is a public school located in Kaysville, Utah, United States. It is operated by the Davis School District. The mascot of Davis High School is Dartman. The school was established in 1914 and underwent reconstruction during the 2003-2004 school year.
In 2007 Davis High School had the highest number of AP exams taken (1,598) as well as the highest percent of AP exams passed (89.1%) within the state of Utah. The school had a 99% graduation rate in the 2013–2014 school year.
The Davis High School Marching Band has been a 2000, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, and 2015 Bands of America regional finalist (in which it has finished in the top 5), participated in the Rose Parades of 2003 and 2013 and marched in the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade in New York City in 2017.
Their 2011 field show, entitled Boo! In the Hall of the Mountain King, took either first or second in every Utah competition, as well as a third-place finish in the Bands of America Regional championship. Their 2016 show the "Power of One", took second or third in every Utah competition, as well as a sixth-place finish at Bands of America Regional championship. And their 2017 show "I Thank You for the Music" took second in every utah competition and fourth place final at the Bands of America Regional championship. The school's drumline has won IMPA's State Championships for the past seven years.
The Darts participate in class 6-A, the highest classification of high school athletics in the state of Utah. The Darts won the Utah class 5-A state basketball championship in 2002 and the state 5-A football championship in 2004. Davis won back-to-back state championships in hockey. Davis has been the recipient of the Utah High School Activities Association All-Sports Award for the 2004-2005, 2009-2010, 2011–2012, and 2014-2015 school years.
The Davis High boys' track and field program has won 14 state championship titles since 1941, with a number of individuals holding state records. The Davis High girls' track and field program has eight state championship titles. Eight of the top ten all-time state pole vaulters are claimed by Davis girls.
Davis High School has a student-run school store called "D-Store" open A days at lunch. The store sells Davis High swag. The store is run by SBOs.
Davis High School's former building, which stood from 1914 until 2003, housed a school store called The Canteen. Like the Point, this location offered a selection of food and beverage items as well as school-related merchandise.
Davis High News and Davis Television (D-TV) are referred to together as Davis High Media. It is a student-run organization, collectively referred to as the Dart Staff. DTV is the broadcast news side of the Davis Dart and is released every week during advisories.
Davis has several rivalries, including with Viewmont High School , Layton High School, and American Fork High School,. Layton and Davis are crosstown rivals and have recently been at the top of the Region 1 standings in most major sports
Layton High School and Davis High School have had a rivalry for years. Incidents have included vandalism of football fields, graffiti on school buildings, and violence at sporting events.
The rivalry between Davis and American Fork is primarily between the two schools' marching bands and cross country programs. In the Battle of the Bands, Davis and American Fork are regularly competing for the top spot in Utah competitions. In cross country the schools are always close in competitions, and both are ranked in the top 25 nationally.
2012 fine incidents
In the spring of 2012, the school stopped selling soda pop and candy through vending machines after it was fined twice for violating federal government rules intended to promote healthy eating. The ban prompted three students to sell soda off of school grounds during lunch.
- Rob Bishop - Republican member of the U.S. House of Representatives
- Nolan Bushnell - co-founder of Atari, Inc., developer of Pong, founder of Chuck E. Cheese's
- James Cowser - defensive lineman for the Oakland Raiders
- Bernard Francis Fisher - first living member of the United States Air Force to receive the Medal of Honor
- Takuo Miyagishima, a design engineer who worked for Panavision
- Calvin L. Rampton - 11th Governor of Utah
- Jill Stevens - Miss Utah 2007
- Jared Ward - marathon runner and Olympian, finished 4th place in 2016 Olympic Games marathon in Rio de Janeiro
- "DAVIS HIGH". National Center for Education Statistics. Retrieved November 23, 2017.
- About us[permanent dead link]
- Utahns top U.S. on SAT, AP tests by Jennifer Toomer-Cook in Deseret Morning News, August 29, 2007
- Hale, April (January 15, 2012). "Davis High School band returning to Rose Parade". Standard-Examiner.
- "2011 Fall Results, St George UT". October 29, 2011. Retrieved Oct 26, 2013.
- "2011-13 Classifications & Regions" (PDF). Utah High School Activities Association. August 17, 2011. Retrieved May 19, 2012.[permanent dead link]
- "Boys Track and Field Records Compiled Since 1911" (PDF). uhsaa.org. Utah High School Activities Association Sports Records Book.
- "Girls Track and Field Records Compiled Since 1974" (PDF). uhsaa.org. Utah High School Activities Association Sports Records Book.
- Davis Darts Archived 2008-01-27 at the Wayback Machine. school store website
- Thumbtack prank backfires on prep football player by Associated Press, September 2006
- Saxton, Bryon (May 17, 2012). "Davis High pulls plug on pop, candy machines after being fined". Standard-Examiner. Retrieved May 19, 2012.
- Anderson, Mike. "Davis High students find way to profit from soda ban". KSL.
- "Rob Bishop biography". Archived from the original on 2007-09-26.
- "Davis High School Totally Explained". Archived from the original on 2013-02-05.
- "Medal of Honor recipient receives diploma" - the official website of the U.S. Air Force
- McCormick, John S. "Calvin L. Rampton". Utah History To Go. Retrieved May 19, 2012.
- Speckman, Stephan (July 3, 2007). "Miss Utah is medic for Utah Guard". Deseret News. Archived from the original on October 13, 2008.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Davis High School (Utah).|