Davis & Elkins College
|Location||Elkins, West Virginia
|Athletics||NCAA Division II
Great Midwest Athletic Conference
The school was founded in 1904 and is affiliated with the Presbyterian Church. It was named for Henry G. Davis and his son-in-law Stephen B. Elkins who were both members of the United States Senate from West Virginia.
The Senator, the college newspaper, was founded in December 1922.
The school's athletic teams, known as the Senators, compete in the NCAA Division II Great Midwest Athletic Conference (G-MAC). Men's sports include baseball, basketball, cross country, golf, soccer, swimming, tennis, and lacrosse; while women's sports include basketball, cross country, soccer, softball, swimming, tennis, volleyball, and lacrosse.
The college enrolls 847 students, with a 16:1 student/faculty ratio.
- Liberal Arts Hall
- Charles E. Albert Hall
- Boiler House Theatre
- Memorial Gymnasium/Martin Field House (dedicated October 2010)
- Jennings Randolph Hall
- Benedum Hall
- Eshleman Science Center
- Walter S. Robbins and Elisabeth Shonk Robbins Memorial Chapel
- Hermanson Center
- Graceland Inn & Robert C. Byrd Center for Hospitality & Tourism
- Darby Hall
- Roxanna Booth Hall
- Gribble Hall
- Presidential Center
- International Hall/Moyer Hall (dedicated October 2010)
- Booth Library
- Charles B. Gates Jr. Memorial Tower
- Madden Student Center & William S. Robbins Centennial Tower
- The McDonnell Center for Health, Physical Education and Athletics
- Myles Center for the Arts (dedicated October 2012)
- Augusta Heritage Center, at Davis & Elkins College -- provides instruction and performances, folklife programs, and a home for significant collections of field recordings, oral histories, photographs, instruments, and Appalachian art. "We teach. We share. We celebrate the wonder and diversity of the heritage arts."
Augusta Heritage Center is best known for intensive weeklong workshops that attract several hundred participants annually. Thousands more attend our public concerts, dances, and festivals. Augusta’s full-time staff, plus volunteers, seasonal staff, and work-study students, produce a great variety of quality workshops. These world-renowned workshops and festivals have brought together master artists, musicians, dancers, craftspeople, and enthusiasts of all ages. www.augustaheritagecenter.org
- Red Corzine, American football player
- Tex Irvin, American football player
- Terry Rooney, college baseball coach at UCF (did not graduate)
- Tobi Stoner, professional baseball player
- Press Maravich, collegiate basketball coach and father of "Pistol" Pete Maravich
- Hank Steinbrecher, former Secretary General of U.S. Soccer (USSF)
- "D&E Info". Davis & Elkins College. Retrieved May 20, 2014.
- Carlson, Scott (November 20, 2009). "Turnaround Pro Makes the Most of His College's Small Size". The Chronicle of Higher Education. LVI (13): A13.
- "Davis & Elkins College". The Independent. Jul 6, 1914. Retrieved August 1, 2012.
- "G-MAC News: Conference Adds Three New Members" (Press release). Great Midwest Athletic Conference. August 21, 2012. Retrieved August 22, 2012.
- "UCF Names Terry Rooney Baseball Head Coach". UCF Athletic Communications. June 12, 2008. Archived from the original on July 5, 2014. Retrieved July 5, 2014.
- "Profile". MILB.com. Retrieved 2009-09-09.