Taylor Goldsmith and Wylie Gelber
|Origin||Los Angeles, CA|
|Genres||Folk rock, indie folk, indie rock|
|Labels||North America: ATO Records, MapleMusic Recordings, Hub Records,
Europe: Loose Music, Mercury Records,
|Associated acts||Simon Dawes, Middle Brother, The New Basement Tapes|
|Members||Taylor Goldsmith, guitar & vocals
Griffin Goldsmith, drums
Wylie Gelber, bass
Duane Betts, guitar
|Past members||Alex Casnoff, keyboards
Tay Strathairn, keyboards
Description and history
Dawes is composed of brothers Taylor (guitars and vocals) and Griffin Goldsmith (drums), along with Wylie Gelber (bass) and Duane Betts (guitar).
Dawes was formed from the band Simon Dawes after the departure of co-songwriter Blake Mills, subsequently abandoning a post-punk sound in favor of folk rock. Dawes has been described as having a Laurel Canyon sound derived from artists such as Crosby, Stills, and Nash, Joni Mitchell and Neil Young.
At the invitation of producer Jonathan Wilson, the band joined a local informal jam session that included Conor Oberst, The Black Crowes's Chris Robinson, and Benmont Tench. The band recorded their debut album, North Hills, in Laurel Canyon in a live setting to analog tape, resulting in a sound that Rolling Stone magazine called "authentically vintage". Wilco multi-instrumentalist Pat Sansone is also credited with appearing on the release.
Original keyboardist Alex Casnoff left the band in late 2010, and was replaced by Tay Strathairn. The band made their television debut on The Late Late Show with Craig Ferguson on April 14, 2010. Dawes released their second album, Nothing Is Wrong, on June 7, 2011 and toured the US co-headlining with Blitzen Trapper. Dawes played alongside Jackson Browne at the Occupy Wall Street event in Liberty Park, on December 1, 2011. The band also appeared as themselves on the February 7, 2012 episode of the NBC television series Parenthood.
In December 2013, the song "Just Beneath the Surface" from Stories Don't End was featured in the episode "Independent Movie" of the animated series American Dad!
In early 2015, Duane Betts joined the band as a member of their touring ensemble. Taylor Goldsmith is quoted saying "But right now, yeah, he’s in the band" in reference to Duane. Taylor and Duane alternate playing lead guitar on songs.
On September 30, 2015, the departure of keyboardist Tay Strathairn was announced in a Facebook post.
|Title||Album details||Peak chart positions||Sales|
|Nothing Is Wrong||64||—||18||5|
|Stories Don't End||
|All Your Favorite Bands||
- Stripped Down at Grimey's (November 29, 2013) Hub Records
- Josh Eells (2009-11-11). "Breaking: Dawes". Rolling Stone. Retrieved 2009-12-11.
- Pemberton Roach. "Dawes". allmusic.com. Retrieved 2009-12-11.
- Benjy Eisen (2009-11-23). "Dawes Use the MacGyver Method for Equipment Repairs". spinner.com. Retrieved 2009-12-28.
- JENNY ELISCU (2009-10-13). "North Hills – Dawes". Rolling stone. Retrieved 2009-12-11.
- Aly Comingore (2009-12-17). "Dawes Plays Muddy Waters:L.A. Folk Rockers Channel Vintage California". Santa Barbara Independent. Retrieved 2009-12-28.
- Shannon Cosgrove (19 February 2011). "Q & A with indie rock band Dawes". University of California, Los Angeles. Retrieved 23 February 2011.
- Jackson Browne & Dawes Play Zuccotti (VIDEO), Gosztola, Kevin; Firedoglake.com, December 2, 2011, accessed December 3, 2011
- Dawes Set to Make Cameo on NBC's Parenthood, Vitcavage, Adam; pastemagazine.com, February 7, 2012, accessed February 14, 2012
- "New Song: "From A Window Seat"". Official Dawes band homepage. 2013-02-08. Retrieved 2013-02-10.
- "Dawes Face Fears on "From a Window Seat" – Song Premiere". Rolling Stone. 2013-02-07. Retrieved 2013-02-10.
- "Duane Betts Is Now A Member of Dawes Touring Band". Jam Bands. 2015-05-09. Retrieved 2016-01-05.
- "Album & Song Chart History (Billboard 200)". Billboard. Prometheus Global Media.
- "Album & Song Chart History (Heatseeker Albums)". Billboard. Prometheus Global Media.
- "Album & Song Chart History (Top Rock Albums)". Billboard. Prometheus Global Media.
- "Album & Song Chart History (Folk Albums)". Billboard. Prometheus Global Media.
- "Upcoming Releases". Hits Daily Double. HITS Digital Ventures. Archived from the original on May 15, 2015.