Dawn - National Coalition
|Founded||13 June 2013|
|Headquarters||Papírenská 6B, 160 00 Prague 6|
Red and Blue|
|Chamber of Deputies||
7 / 200
0 / 81
0 / 22
0 / 675
53 / 62,300
Dawn - National Coalition (Czech: Úsvit - Národní koalice), short Dawn, formerly (from June 2014 to August 2015) Dawn of Direct Democracy (Czech: Úsvit přímé demokracie) or (from June 2013 to June 2014) Tomio Okamura's Dawn of Direct Democracy (Czech: Úsvit přímé demokracie Tomia Okamury), is a right-wing populist and eurosceptic political party in the Czech Republic.
The party was founded in May 2013 by Tomio Okamura, an independent senator attached to the Christian Democratic parliamentary group. Tomio Okamura's Dawn of Direct Democracy supported the implementation of direct democracy at all levels "as a solution to the corruption, nepotism, clientelism and kleptocracy," the use of referenda, the direct election of deputies, senators, mayors and regional governors, a presidential system and, consequently, a stronger separation of powers.
In the parliamentary election of 2013 the party obtained 342,339 votes (6.88%) and gained 14 seats.
Party crisis by month
In February 2015, most of the nine members of the party and the 14 members of the Dawn parliamentary group decided to establish a new party, without leader Tomio Okamura. On 26 February 2015, Okamura announced that the party was experiencing serious financial difficulties. Since their election to the parliament, the party had been receiving millions of Czech crowns from the state each year.
Several members of Dawn have created new parties: including Freedom and Direct Democracy, led by Okamura, and the Party of National Interests led by Petr Adam.
On 7 July 2015, Dawn announced plans to merge with the Party of the National Interests, which they did in August the same year. Retired veteran Miroslav Lidinský was elected as party chairman and the name was changed to Dawn - National Coalition. They also began working with the We Don't Want Islam in the Czech Republic movement (Czech: Islám v České republice nechceme) led by Martin Konvička. However, this collaboration also failed soon after, and Dawn's popularity has continued to decline. According to current opinion polling, Dawn is unlikely to exceed the threshold for entry into parliament at the 2017 legislative elections.
Chamber of Deputies
14 / 200
|Election||First round||Second round||Seats|
0 / 27
|Election||Votes||Share of votes in %||Seats obtained||Place|
0 / 22
|Election||Share of votes in %||Councillors|
- "Místo členů nabírají některé strany registrované příznivce". Denik.cz. 21 August 2016. Retrieved 25 September 2016.
- "Úsvit navrhuje zákon o referendu o vystoupení z EU".
- "O přímé demokracii - Úsvit - Národní Koalice".
- "Czech elections: An angry electorate", The Economist, 25 October 2013
- Jan Richter (26 October 2013), "Czech general elections yield no obvious coalition", Radio Prague
- "Sme: Okamura's politics is social, national populism", Prague Daily Monitor, 26 October 2013
- "Parties and Elections in Europe, "Czech Republic", The database about parliamentary elections and political parties in Europe, by Wolfram Nordsieck". Parties & Elections. 24 December 2013. Retrieved 24 December 2013.
- "Malé strany zažívají před volbami boom. K Babišovi i Okamurovi vstupují tisíce lidí". Politika. Retrieved 26 October 2013.
- ČTK. "Okamura žádá o registraci hnutí Úsvit přímé demokracie -". Aktualne. Retrieved 26 October 2013.
- "A Czech election with consequences". openDemocracy. 14 October 2013. Retrieved 26 October 2013.
- "Ministerstvo zaregistrovalo hnutí Úsvit přímé demokracie". Úsvit Přímé Demokracie Tomia Okamury. 20 June 2013. Retrieved 26 October 2013.
- "Okamura bude volebním lídrem svého Úsvitu ve středních Čechách". CeskeNovinydate=6 September 2013. Retrieved 26 October 2013.
- Uploads Hnutiusvit
- "News". Radio Prague. 3 September 2013. Retrieved 26 October 2013.
- "News". Radio Prague. 9 September 2013. Retrieved 26 October 2013.
- "Ing. Radim Fiala Úsvit Přímé Demokracie Tomia Okamury". Hnutiusvit. Retrieved 26 October 2013.
- "Moravané půjdou do voleb s hnutím Úsvit Tomia Okamury". iDNES. Retrieved 26 October 2013.
- "Puč dokonán dle Okamury, Úsvit odsouhlasil novou stranu" (in Czech). Czech Television. 24 February 2015. Retrieved 26 February 2015.
- "Okamura cries 'putsch!'". Prague Post. 11 February 2015. Retrieved 26 February 2015.
- Lang, Václav (26 February 2015). "Úsvit je v minusu, přiznal Okamura. Odstoupit nehodlá" (in Czech). novinky.cz. Retrieved 26 February 2015.
Media related to Úsvit - Národní Koalice at Wikimedia Commons