|Single by Little Big Town|
|from the album Pain Killer|
|Released||June 9, 2014|
|Little Big Town singles chronology|
"Day Drinking" is a song recorded by American country music group Little Big Town. It was released in June 2014 as the lead single from their sixth studio album, Pain Killer. Little Big Town debuted the song on the CMT Music Awards on June 4, 2014.
"Day Drinking" is a mid-tempo song about not wanting to wait until later or needing a reason to have some drinks, so the song's narrator suggests they do a little "day drinking." The song was written by three members of the band (Karen Fairchild, Phillip Sweet, and Jimi Westbrook) with Barry Dean and Troy Verges. Of the song's inception, Fairchild said: "We didn't know it really, but with 'Day Drinking,' we had a blast that day because we were drinking and writing songs. We left it alone, then a couple of weeks later, Barry Dean and Troy Verges sent us a souped up work tape of what we had done. Then, we thought this is very fun and very cool."
The song is set in the key of E Mixolydian. 
Matt Bjorke of Roughstock complimented the song's production, saying that it "benefit[s] from Joyce's strong guitar solo and percussive production tendencies which only enhance the summery good time vibes of the lyrics of 'Day Drinking.'" Bob Paxman of Country Weekly highlighted the song's "first-rate production" and vocals. He awarded the song a B+ rating, saying that while "[it] will hardly be remembered for its depth, but like a vacation cruise, it’s the perfect summer getaway."
The music video for "Day Drinking" made its premiere on June 25, 2014, courtesy of People.com. It opens with the band members stuck in a traffic jam, before they get out of their vehicle, a red Cadillac convertible, and proceed to walk down the highway. Others follow suit and they all end up at a beach where fun festivities commence while alcohol beverages are consumed. Scenes for the video were shot in the Miami Beach, Florida area.
"Day Drinking" debuted at number 32 on the U.S. Billboard Country Airplay chart and at number 22 on the U.S. Billboard Hot Country Songs chart for the week of June 21, 2014. It also debuted at number 87 on the U.S. Billboard Hot 100 chart. As of April 2015, the song has sold 671,000 copies in the United States.
|Canada (Canadian Hot 100)||50|
|Canada Country (Billboard)||1|
|US Billboard Hot 100||40|
|US Country Airplay (Billboard)||2|
|US Hot Country Songs (Billboard)||4|
|US Country Airplay (Billboard)||29|
|US Hot Country Songs (Billboard)||34|
|United States (RIAA)||Gold||500,000^|
*sales figures based on certification alone
- "Little Big Town To Release New Single "Day Drinking" To Country Radio". Country Music Rocks. May 27, 2014. Retrieved June 14, 2014.
- Chuck Dauphin (June 9, 2014). "Little Big Town's 'Drinking' Song Is the 'Tip of the Iceberg' for New Album". Billboard. Retrieved June 14, 2014.
- Little Big Town "Day Drinking" Sheet Music at musicnotes.com
- Matt Bjorke (June 3, 2014). "Single Review: Little Big Town - Day Drinking". Roughstock. Archived from the original on July 6, 2014. Retrieved June 14, 2014.
- Bob Paxman (July 11, 2014). ""Day Drinking" by Little Big Town". Country Weekly. Retrieved July 14, 2014.
- Katie Kauss (June 26, 2014). "EXCLUSIVE: Watch Little Big Town's New 'Day Drinking' Music Video". People.com. Retrieved June 26, 2014.
- Matt Bjorke (April 22, 2015). "Country Music's Top 30 Digital Singles: Week of April 22, 2015". Roughstock.
- "Little Big Town Chart History (Canadian Hot 100)". Billboard.
- "Little Big Town Chart History (Canada Country)". Billboard.
- "Little Big Town Chart History (Hot 100)". Billboard.
- "Little Big Town Chart History (Country Airplay)". Billboard.
- "Little Big Town Chart History (Hot Country Songs)". Billboard.
- "Best of 2014: Country Airplay". Billboard. Prometheus Global Media. 2014. Retrieved December 9, 2014.
- "Best of 2014: Hot Country Songs". Billboard. Prometheus Global Media. 2014. Retrieved December 9, 2014.
- "American single certifications – Little Big Town – Day Drinking". Recording Industry Association of America. Retrieved March 21, 2015. If necessary, click Advanced, then click Format, then select Single, then click SEARCH.