Day Township, Michigan
|Day Township, Michigan|
|• Total||35.3 sq mi (91.4 km2)|
|• Land||35.2 sq mi (91.2 km2)|
|• Water||0.1 sq mi (0.2 km2)|
|Elevation||961 ft (293 m)|
|• Density||36.4/sq mi (14.1/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|ZIP codes||48829 (Edmore),
|GNIS feature ID||1626161|
- McBride is a village in the township, near the junction of county road 530 (McBrides Road) and county road 571 (Wyman Road). The post office for the village, with ZIP code 48852, is named "McBrides" and provides P.O. Box service for the village.
- Westville is an unincorporated community on the western boundary of the township at  about two miles west of McBride and about four miles north of Stanton. A post office was established on May 2, 1872, with Eli M. Mallet as the first postmaster. The community was platted and recorded as "Westville" by Daniel West. The post office continued to operate until October 31, 1907. ,
- The city of Stanton is situated at the southwest corner of the township and incorporates most of section 31. The Stanton post office, with ZIP code 48888, also serves most of southern Day Township.
- The village of Edmore is to the north in Home Township and the Edmore post office, with ZIP code 48829, also serves a large part of northern Day Township.
- The community of Vestaburg is to the northeast in Richland Township and the Vestaburg post office, with ZIP code 48891, also serves a small area in eastern Day Township.
According to the United States Census Bureau, the township has a total area of 35.3 square miles (91 km2), of which 35.2 square miles (91 km2) is land and 0.1 square miles (0.26 km2) (0.20%) is water.
As of the census of 2000, there were 1,282 people, 461 households, and 366 families residing in the township. The population density was 36.4 per square mile (14.1/km²). There were 496 housing units at an average density of 14.1 per square mile (5.4/km²). The racial makeup of the township was 96.49% White, 0.23% African American, 0.62% Native American, 0.16% Asian, 0.08% Pacific Islander, 0.39% from other races, and 2.03% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 2.65% of the population.
There were 461 households out of which 34.1% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 67.2% were married couples living together, 7.6% had a female householder with no husband present, and 20.6% were non-families. 16.7% of all households were made up of individuals and 8.9% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.78 and the average family size was 3.08.
In the township the population was spread out with 27.6% under the age of 18, 8.6% from 18 to 24, 27.3% from 25 to 44, 23.6% from 45 to 64, and 12.9% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 36 years. For every 100 females there were 101.6 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 95.0 males.
The median income for a household in the township was $35,500, and the median income for a family was $42,566. Males had a median income of $30,167 versus $19,348 for females. The per capita income for the township was $16,724. About 8.1% of families and 13.3% of the population were below the poverty line, including 22.5% of those under age 18 and 7.4% of those age 65 or over.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Archived from the original on 2013-09-11. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- U.S. Geological Survey Geographic Names Information System: Day Township, Michigan
- ZCTA Reference Map for 48852, U.S. Census Bureau, 2000 census
- U.S. Geological Survey Geographic Names Information System: Westville, Michigan
- Romig, Walter (1986) . Michigan Place Names. Detroit, Michigan: Wayne State University Press. ISBN 0-8143-1838-X.
- ZCTA Reference Map for 48888, U.S. Census Bureau, 2000 census
- ZCTA Reference Map for 48829, U.S. Census Bureau, 2000 census
- ZCTA Reference Map for 48891, U.S. Census Bureau, 2000 census