Ambient 3: Day of Radiance
This article includes a list of references, but its sources remain unclear because it has insufficient inline citations. (July 2016) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Ambient 3: Day of Radiance|
|Studio album by|
|Genre||Ambient, world, new age|
|Brian Eno chronology|
|Louder than War||8/10|
Compared to the rest of the series, Day of Radiance features very little in the way of electronics. Laraaji uses a variety of acoustic stringed instruments such as a hammered dulcimer and 36-stringed open-tuned zither.
All tracks by Laraaji
- ”The Dance #1” – 9:06
- ”The Dance #2” – 9:39
- ”The Dance #3” – 3:15
- ”Meditation #1” – 18:42
- ”Meditation #2” – 7:50
The first three tracks are variations on a theme named "The Dance", and are delivered in a fast, hypnotic, Gamelan-like, rhythmic pace on a hammered dulcimer. Eno's input is not only in the role of producer; he also adds many creative touches to the natural instrument-sounds. In particular, he "layers" the tracks, after which he applies various effects to the point at which the dulcimer almost sounds like other instruments.
These processes are particularly noticeable on the last of the "Dance" pieces. The simple practice of slowing the tape down creates resonances that are deep, and distorted in places.
The final two tracks ("Meditation 1 & 2") are different; more in keeping with the "ambient" style featured on the rest of the series. These are slow, meandering beatless compositions performed on the zither, with the dulcimer adding the odd highlight. Eno's tactic in these two pieces is mainly to electronically highlight the zither's naturally long decay-rate, creating a highly ethereal sound.
Personnel and instruments
- Cover art and production – Brian Eno
- Music – Laraaji
- Instruments – treated and amplified zither; hammered dulcimer
|Country||Label||Cat. No.||Media||Release Date|
|UK||Ambient/EG Records||EGAMB 003||LP||1980|
|US||EG Records||EGS 203||LP||1980|
|US||EG Records||EGED/EEGCD-19||LP & CD||1987 & 1995|
- Brian Olewnick. "Laraaji Ambient 3: Day of Radiance". AllMusic. Retrieved 2016-12-12.
- Paul Scott-Bates (November 6, 2015). "Laraaji: Ambient 3 Day Of Radiance – album review". Louder Than War. Retrieved 2016-12-12.
- Paul Bowler. "LARAAJI - AMBIENT 3: DAY OF RADIANCE (PRODUCED BY BRIAN ENO)". Record Collector. Retrieved 2015-12-12.
- Kuettel, Benjamin. "Laraaji - Ambient 3: Day of Radiance". Sputnikmusic. Retrieved 15 December 2017.