Daya performing in Los Angeles in 2016
|Birth name||Grace Martine Tandon|
October 24, 1998|
Mt. Lebanon, Pennsylvania, U.S.
Grace Martine Tandon (born October 24, 1998), professionally known as Daya (stylized DΛYΛ; pronounced //), is an American singer and songwriter from Mt. Lebanon, Pennsylvania. She is signed to Artbeatz, Z Entertainment, and RED Distribution, and released her self-titled debut extended play (EP), Daya, on September 4, 2015, which includes the song "Hide Away", which has peaked at number 23 on the Billboard Hot 100. She released her debut studio album Sit Still, Look Pretty on October 7, 2016.
Daya was born in Pittsburgh and grew up in the suburb of Mount Lebanon, Pennsylvania. Her paternal grandfather is Indian American, a Punjabi who migrated from Punjab, India to the United States. She has four sisters, Rachel, Mariana, Celia, and Avery. Her stage name Daya is the Sanskrit word for "compassion" or "kindness". In grade school she attended St. Bernard School, later she attended Mt. Lebanon High School, where she graduated. At the age of 3, Daya began to learn the piano, eventually switching to jazz piano at the age of eleven. By this time, she had also learned to play the guitar, ukulele, saxophone, and flute.
At eleven, Daya enrolled as a student at the Accelerando Music Conservatory, owned by Christina Chirumbolo, in Pittsburgh. There, she met songwriter and producer Gino Barletta, a colleague of Chirumbolo who visited the school as a lecturer. Chirumbolo and Barletta founded INSIDE ACCESS, a music camp, the two worked with Daya eventually inviting her to Los Angeles in February 2015 to work on her original material.
Daya's professional career began when her parents accompanied her to Los Angeles to work with Christina Chirumbolo and Gino Barletta, founders of INSIDE ACCESS by Accelerando, Brett McLaughlin, Britten Newbill and Noisecastle III at Paramount Recording Studios. It was during one of these writing sessions that her debut single "Hide Away" was written and recorded, and Barletta consequently introduced Daya to Steve Zap of Z Entertainment. Daya, who was a junior at the time, said she didn't think anything would happen for a while, and went back to high school the next day. A radio promotions veteran, Zap liked the song and was interested in helping to promote the singer, leading to forming an independent label with Barletta called Artbeatz.
Daya released her song "Hide Away" on April 22, 2015. The song was well-received online, enjoyed support from a number of notable bloggers including Tyler Oakley and Perez Hilton, the latter commenting "There is something very special about Daya's voice". Jason Lipshutz of Billboard also featured the single on their official website, labelling it "a gorgeous debut".
Daya made her television debut performing "Hide Away" on Today with Kathie Lee and Hoda on August 21, 2015 as Elvis Duran's Artist of the Month. She returned to Today for their summer concert series on June 28, 2016.
Following a successful debut, Daya released her self-titled EP, Daya, which features six songs, including "Hide Away", on September 4, 2015. The EP was premiered in full a day early by Billboard, and debuted at number 161 on the Billboard 200, propelling "Hide Away" to number 40 on the Billboard Pop Songs chart.
In 2016, Daya was the opening act for American pop-rap duo Jack & Jack's US tour. In February 2016, she featured on The Chainsmokers' song "Don't Let Me Down", which eventually peaked at number 3 on the Hot 100, becoming her second top 40 entry and her first top 10. She also released the second single from her self-titled EP, "Sit Still, Look Pretty", which debuted at number 100 and peaked at number 28, her third top 40.
On December 6, 2016, it was announced that "Don't Let Me Down" had been nominated for the 59th Annual Grammy Awards . On February 12, 2017, it won the Grammy for Best Dance Recording making it the singer's first Grammy Award win.
- Sit Still, Look Pretty (2016)
|2016||School of Rock||Herself||"I Put a Spell|
(Season 2: episode 5)
Awards and nominations
|2016||Radio Disney Music Awards||Best New Artist||Herself||Nominated|
|MTV Video Music Awards||Best Electronic Video||"Don't Let Me Down"|
|Latin American Music Awards||Favorite Dance Song|
|American Music Awards||Collaboration of the Year|
|2017||Grammy Awards||Best Dance Recording||Won|
|iHeartRadio Music Awards||Dance Song of the Year||Nominated|
|Best Music Video|
|Best New Pop Artist||Herself|
|Kids' Choice Awards||Favorite New Artist|
|WDM Radio Awards||Best Electronic Vocalist|
|Best Trending Track||"Don't Let Me Down"||Won|
|Radio Disney Music Awards||Best Dance Track (Best Song to Dance To)||Nominated|
|Song of the Year||"Sit Still, Look Pretty"|
|Breakout Artist of the Year||Herself|
|Billboard Music Awards||Top Hot 100 Song||"Don't Let Me Down"|
|Top Selling Song|
|Top Radio Song|
|Top Dance/Electronic Song|
- "Top 40/M Future Releases - Mainstream Hit Songs Being Released and Their Release Dates". AllAccess Music Group. October 17, 2017. Archived from the original on October 11, 2017. Retrieved October 11, 2017.
- "Daya - Biography | Billboard". www.billboard.com. Retrieved 2017-06-12.
- "Daya 106.9 The Q". 106.9 The Q. Retrieved October 5, 2015.
- "Daya – Hide Away – CBS Pittsburgh". CBS Pittsburgh. Retrieved October 5, 2015.
- "Z Entertainment Management". Z Entertainment Management. Retrieved October 5, 2015.
- "iTunes (U.S.) – Music – Daya – Daya – EP". iTunes (U.S.). September 4, 2015. Archived from the original on September 1, 2016. Retrieved October 5, 2015.
- Mervis, Scott (October 29, 2015). "Music preview: Mt. Lebanon singer Daya has shot at pop fame". post-gazette.com. Retrieved March 21, 2016.
- "A Lebo Pop Princess". Lebo Mag. June 4, 2015. Retrieved October 5, 2015.
- Kelly Washere (September 20, 2016). "Mt. Lebanon's Daya is a rising pop star who remains grounded". South Hills Living. Retrieved September 21, 2016.
- "Accelerando :". www.accelerandopittsburgh.com. Retrieved January 7, 2016.
- "Daya's 'Hide Away' on iTunes! www.theofficialdaya.com - YouTube". YouTube. April 22, 2015. Retrieved September 21, 2016.
- "Listen To This: Fly As A Mother – Perez Hilton". Perez Hilton. June 5, 2015. Retrieved October 5, 2015.
- "Pop Playlist Summer 2015: 15 Awesome Songs You Might Have Missed – Billboard". Billboard. Retrieved October 5, 2015.
- "Daya Performing "Hide Away" on The Today Show". YouTube. September 11, 2015. Retrieved October 5, 2015.
- "Daya - Sit Still, Look Pretty - Live on Today Show". YouTube. June 28, 2016. Retrieved September 28, 2016.
- "Daya EP Premiere: Stream – Billboard". Billboard. September 3, 2015. Retrieved October 5, 2015.
- "Billboard – Daya – Chart History – Billboard 200". Billboard. September 26, 2015. Retrieved October 5, 2015.
- "Daya's "Hide Away" Debut On Billboard". Headline Planet. September 9, 2015. Retrieved October 5, 2015.
- "Daya – Daya (Only at Target)". Target. October 30, 2015. Retrieved November 9, 2015.
- "Q92". facebook. November 13, 2015. Retrieved April 6, 2016.
- "Daya Reacts to First Grammy Nomination: 'This is Insane'". Billboard. Retrieved 2017-02-15.
- Wilson, Winston-Cook. "Grammys 2017: Adele, Beyoncé, the Chainsmokers Dominate the Nominations". Spin (magazine). Retrieved December 6, 2016.
- "Daya Studies Up for 'School of Rock' Acting Debut: Exclusive".
- "2017 iHeartRadio Music Awards: Complete List of Nominations". E! Online. January 3, 2017.
- "2017 Nickelodeon Kids' Choice Awards".
- "WDM Radio Awards 2017". LOS40. Retrieved 21 February 2017.