Dayanand Shetty at a Bunt community event
11 December 1969 |
Katapadi, Udupi Karnataka, India
|Known for||Senior Inspector Daya in the program C.I.D.|
|Height||6 ft 2 in (188 cm)|
Dayanand Chandrashekhar Shetty (born 11 December 1969), also known as Daya Shetty, is an Indian model, film and television actor. He plays the role of Senior Inspector Daya in the Indian television series C.I.D. (since 1998).
He is a sportsman-turned-actor due to leg injury. He was a shot put and discus thrower, which won him many prizes in these sports. He was the champion of discus throw from Maharashtra in 1994. He has acted in many commercials, and has even won awards as a theatre artist. He won the Best Actor award for his role in the Tulu language play "Secret".
He then auditioned for the role of CID officer in 1998 and was the one who got selected. He is known for his role of Senior Inspector Daya in CID. He along with actors Shivaji Satam and Aditya Srivastava are the main leads of the show. He has also written for some of the episodes of C.I.D.
In C.I.D Senior inspector Daya is known for his immense strength, whose name is enough to make the toughest of criminals to breakdown. One of the most famous dialogs in C.I.D is ACP Pradyuman asking him "Daya darwaaza tod do" (meaning "Daya, break the door") . This dialogue become so much popular that it is even used in the film Singham Returns which is one of the most appreciated scenes of the film. In C.I.D senior inspector Daya is also critical in finding the clues to solve the case. Although tough in appearance, he is also soft-mannered and sympathetic in nature who is always the first one to support team members and others when they needs it the most.
Daya Shetty has acted in TV commercials, plays and films. He also won the best looking guy vote conducted by Indian Television in 2002. He also participated in Jhalak Dikhhla Jaa (Season 4), dance reality show.
A song was recorded for CID episode (aired on 21 January 2012) which was a lullaby sung by Daya Shetty and his fellow actors Shivaji Satam and Aditya Shrivastava. His talent as a singer has been appreciated in talk shows like "Movers and Shakers" as well.
The movies he has acted include "Johnny Gaddaar", "Runway" and "Singham Returns".
Daya Shetty has made guest appearances in shows like "Jassi Jaissi Koi Nahin" and "Kkusum". He has acted in Gutur Gu which is a silent comedy show (in both season one and two). He has made appearances as Celebrity Guest in shows including Deal Ya No Deal, Entertainment Ke Liye Kuch Bhi Karega(season 4), Kahani Comedy Circus Ki, "Aapka Sapna Hamara Apna".
Daya Shetty and Shivaji Satam appeared as Celebrity Guests in the TV show Sa Re Ga Ma Pa L'il Champs(in the Independence Day Special episode of 2011). Daya Shetty, Shivaji Satam, Aditya Srivastava and Narendra Gupta also appeared in Kaun Banega Crorepati 2014. He has won the best supporting actor award (for the role of Senior Inspector Daya in CID) in the Gold Awards 2012.
Dayanand Shetty was born on 11 December 1969, in a Tulu speaking Bunt family in Katapadi village of Udupi district of Karnataka State in India to Chandra Prakash Shetty and Uma Shetty. He has two sisters (Naina and Sandhya). He did his B.com from Rizvi College, Bandra. He married Smitha Shetty and they have one daughter.
- Johnny Gaddaar as Shiva (2007)
- Runway as Inspector (2009)
- Singham Returns as Senior Inspector Daya (2014)
- C.I.D as Senior Inspector Daya (1998 – present)
- C.I.D. Special Bureau as Senior Inspector Daya
- Jassi Jaissi Koi Nahin in guest appearance
- Kkusum in guest appearance
- Deal Ya No Deal as celebrity guest
- Jeena Isi Ka Naam Hai as celebrity guest (Shivaji Satam's friend)
- Sa Re Ga Ma Pa L'il Champs (Season 4) as celebrity guest (2011)
- Gutur Gu as Harpreet Singh (2010-2012)
- Jhalak Dikhhla Jaa as contestant
- X-factor as celebrity guest
- Entertainment Ke Liye Kuch Bhi Karega(Season 4) as celebrity guest
- Surya the Super Cop in episodic appearance as Senior Inspector Daya
- Kahani Comedy Circus Ki as celebrity guest
- Aapka Sapna Hamara Apna as celebrity guest
- Gtur Gu (Season2) as Daya (2012)
- Fear Factor: Khatron Ke Khiladi (Season 5) as contestant (2014)
- Kaun Banega Crorepati (Season 8) as celebrity guest (2014)
- Taarak Mehta Ka Ooltah Chashmah in episodic appearance as Senior Inspector Daya
- The Kapil Sharma Show as celebrity guest (2016)
- Gupp Chupp as Rocky (cameo) (2016)
- Dibyajyoti Chaudhuri, "Shivaji Satam, Dayanand Shetty in a new Avatar", TV, The Times of India, 15 August 2011.
- (Hindustan Times news article) "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 26 August 2012. Retrieved 2012-07-28.
- "Dayanand Shetty: I will not let fear creep into my mind!".
- "Daya of CID eliminated from Khatron Ke Khiladi Season 5". IANS. news.biharprabha.com. Retrieved 23 April 2014.
- "Amitabh Bachchan reveals CID team's funny side on Kaun Banega Crorepati". Times of India. 23 September 2014. Retrieved 6 December 2014.
- "Dayanand Shetty plays inspector Daya in 'Singham 2'".